Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
That front bumper must of caused some weird areodynamic air drag that pulled him into the center of the corner. :lol:

·
Sexy Captain Sultry
3,231 Posts
To be fair, it didn't look like the Nissan driver lifted much, if at all. If you're going to point someone by, ya gotta give em enough opportunity to complete the pass safely, i.e. without having to go into the next corner too hot.

my $0.02

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
GtnMaZumOn said:
To be fair, it didn't look like the Nissan driver lifted much, if at all. If you're going to point someone by, ya gotta give em enough opportunity to complete the pass safely, i.e. without having to go into the next corner too hot.

my $0.02
That's not true....
Chris had a lot of time. Chris passed him at the Start/finishing line. There was a lot of room.... This is also open track/TT... It's up to the passing driver to make a safe pass. We don't let up just because we do a point by. Besides, even if they went side-by-side into to one.... It's up to both drivers to hold their line.

But, It is easy to spin in turn 1 if you try to trail brake like he did :) But we all talked about it, and Chris knows. Chris is a great guy and a talented driver and I know he won't try that again.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GtnMaZumOn said:

my $0.02
Not to beat a dead horse, But it’s important to understand the event here. This is NASA TT event. People are running and competing for time. In NASA, a point-by isn’t a command, it’s let the driver know behind you, That I would like you to pass there. But we don’t want you to lift. If Dan had lifted there, not only would he as blown that lap time… but the next lap time as well. It’s also up to the passing driver to make a safe pass. Now, even if Chris didn’t make the pass until turn one… it would be up to each driver to give each other room, and go side-by-side into and through turn one and you can go two wide. even three wide if everyone is willing to give and take.

Now in this case Chris passed Dan at the start finish line and there was still enough room for Dan to pull behind Chris and brake enough to make the turn himself.

The only thing that happen here was Chris was hard on the brakes and turning at the same time..

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
Ted there was plenty of room, the purpose of that HPDE group 4 it to allow for close action and having guys that can handle it. I also agree that there perhaps was just a little to weight on the back. (weight transfer)

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
Actually I was very light on the brakes at the end, but with the light rear end now and increased tq. bias in the SVT rear discs sent me around. It was total driver error as I was getting used to the new set-up of the car. With the old set-up, I could heel-toe and slowly slip my foot off the brake and apply the gas at the same time, now I have to complete most of my hard braking early. No worries, won't happen again.

The driver I passed is a veteran and gave me tons of room. He is an excellent driver and knew exactly what he was doing.

Unfortunately it was all caught on tape.:lol: :lol: I have had only two spins in the last two years, both were brake related (partially on that last one) and both in the last month.:eek:

Allan, there were like 5 offs that I saw that weekend at turn 1. Very weird weekend there for sure. Ultimately I will blame the Summer Equinox and a plague of frogs for my spin.:evilgrin:

·
3,514 Posts
Oh and Ted, thanks for posting the vid. I will get you back some day!:lol: :lol: :p ;) :evilgrin:

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
Allan, there were like 5 offs that I saw that weekend at turn 1. Very weird weekend there for sure. Ultimately I will blame the Summer Equinox and a plague of frogs for my spin.:evilgrin:__________________
Classic!! Wow 5 into turn one. Way back im my scca days folks were going off the outside at the exit. Well one thing my big spin 720%at Fontana didnt end up here. Looked like a great time. Im still smarting over it.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Chris, Let me know what you are planning for Ted, I want to be there as well!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
airforcefocus said:
Actually I was very light on the brakes at the end, but with the light rear end now and increased tq. bias in the SVT rear discs sent me around.
Yeah, I understand, It doesn't take much in these light weight Foci. You might have been able to save it, but you would have had to use all the exit room and maybe even more to do that. But it did happen fast.

·
3,514 Posts
Ted7rns said:
Yeah, I understand, It doesn't take much in these light weight Foci. You might have been able to save it, but you would have had to use all the exit room and maybe even more to do that. But it did happen fast.

I did think about the save for a split second, but thought about Dan behind me and found it safer to pull inside and stop. It's funny how much you can think about in a blink of an eye!:lol: I just did not want my mistake to cost him some sheet metal, although it may have given him some better aero if I did.:lol: :p

Ricardo, I'll let ya know the plan. ( I know you have heard of Snakes on a Plane, but did you hear about Snakes in a Focus?):lol: :p

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
I did think about the save for a split second, but thought about Dan behind me and found it safer to pull inside and stop
Good decision:thumbup: now you can run another day without repairs

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
airforcefocus said:
I did think about the save for a split second, but thought about Dan behind me and found it safer to pull inside and stop. It's funny how much you can think about in a blink of an eye!:lol: I just did not want my mistake to cost him some sheet metal, although it may have given him some better aero if I did.:lol: :p
Good Point

·
███████
2,662 Posts
Great Driving Both of you Because Someone May have gotten hurt, But BOth drivers Did exactly what they should have :thumbup:

The video is pretty funny tho !! :lol:

Troy. :party:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ted7rns said:
I really need to get a camera for the car.

Im working on one for Nationals for us. As well as a data recording device so you can see exactly where im alot faster than you Ted..... :lol:

Well, my first attempt to trail brake Teds Foci into turn 9 almost killed me. With the big brakes thats on Teds car, you just cant trail brake the car. I wondered if this was Chris's issue? Now I play it safe and only trail brake going down into 6.

Thats a boring spin Chris, dont sweat it. I dont really share my faults with the public but, heres one for ya bro.

Right click save as:
http://www.mezeracing.com/spinat95.mpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts