Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\'Chuffing\' sound from engine compartment

Not a good week for the SVT. Drove to work with no problems. After work I started up the car and let it idle for about one minute and drove off. Less than a mile later I hear this regular 'chuffing' pumping noise. Real regular and consistent and not dependant on engine RPM. The sound was the same speed at idle and while revving. I popped the hood and it sounded like it was coming from the drivers’ side between the wheel and the motor.
Last week it was in the shop for a rattling noise that needed two trips to correct. I was told that a bracket at the rear of the engine block was cracked and needed to be replaced. This new noise appears to be coming from that same location. Anyone know what is really down there?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Re: \'Chuffing\' sound from engine compartment

Maybe the bracket for the cat?

A few others have had this including myself. Just a thought

·
Registered
393 Posts

Could be the DSI control motor running. If the plastic cable pull breaks off at the manifold (like many have), the DSI motor keeps trying to pull the manifold to the "long runner" position, but it can't. I suppose it could sound like a chuffing noise.

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts

Could be the DSI control motor running. If the plastic cable pull breaks off at the manifold (like many have), the DSI motor keeps trying to pull the manifold to the "long runner" position, but it can't. I suppose it could sound like a chuffing noise.
From his description, it sounds exactly like that.

·
Banned
1,599 Posts

man that is my same problem!! I came back from work the other day, and heard the same sound as I was pulling up. I drove it for a day until I popped the hood, and sure enough it was the cable still trying to move. It looks like a plastic piece broke off, and the DSI cable popped out. (its right under my intake, attached to the manifold)

I took it to a dealer for 2 days, and they end up telling me they cant work on it. Turns out they aren't an SVT dealer. So I'm off to another dealer today, I hope this is a quick fix??

Im getting tired of issues like this coming up.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

If it is the DSI cable, hopefully the parts aren't on back order. I know when people started having this problem it was taking weeks to get parts. Hopefully now they can do it within a few days. Don't hold your breath though!

·
Banned
1,599 Posts

Well, no good news. I just got back from the dealer.

Arrington & Blount out in Lawrenceville GA is telling me since my car is not stock they refuse to work on it. I talked to a william, or waman, over at SVT. He says its up to the dealer whether they will service the car or not, but they have the same equipment as an SVT dealer would.
the service advisor wanted to charge me for the diagnostic use, it was throwing an o2 sensor code(Thanks Focus Central)
But I feel like he just wanted me out of there. After I looked at him for a minute, he just told me "not to worry about it" and he pulled my car around. I peeled out of there rather loudly and left (Thanks Borla)

My concern was, he was already telling me they couldnt work on it before he even popped the hood. Or should I say lifted the hood (Thanks Redline)
I dont understand how they can sell SVTs but not service them. Anyways, I am taking the trip to a full SVT dealer (North Point Team Ford) tomorrow, I am hoping I can be back to normal by next week. [/rantoff]

Ricky

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yes, as it turns out it is the fuel rail and all that other stuff you guys mentioned. Thank goodness my dealer is giving me a 'free' rental car. He says the part will be in tomorrow (Friday). Now if they can also repair/replace the faulty fuel gauge that no longer reads 1/1 when you fill up I'll be back in business.

·
Banned
1,599 Posts

sweet. Wish me luck tomorrow, I am going to the dealer and figure out what is going on.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts

Thank goodness my dealer is giving me a 'free' rental car.
Thank SVT not ur dealer. Its ur Dealers job to provide you the rental. Its part of owning an SVT vehicle. Don't take anything less.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Also they are suppose to wsah the car at your request. depending on the dealer, you may or may not want them to do it, but that is also the benefit of owning the svt. However, you usually do have to request it.

·
Registered
269 Posts

My DSI cable broke shortly before I had my JRSC installed. The dealer said they could remove the cable (being that it no longer has anything to attach to after the JRSC install), but the "check engine" light would be constantly on. So, I live with the scraping noise.

·
Banned
1,599 Posts

Is there anything wrong just living with this noise?

I just got back from North Point Ford, they are telling me they can't replace it, this is a part that broke it is not defective.

I told them I wanted it replaced, now they are telling me my CAI caused it, and a Ford engineer will have to come look at my car next week sometime. Am I getting shafted here?

I had a horrible experience with another warranty issue on my last focus. I hope this doesnt happen again. I really doubt the intake could cause the linkage to break like it did.

Your thoughts??

·
Banned
1,599 Posts

Are you guys aware of any recalls/service bulletins with this issue? This is my only hope, I dont know what to do next but it is really frustrating.

Could my intake really be causing this to fail?

Help me!

·
Registered
269 Posts

Could my intake really be causing this to fail?
If they stick by that excuse, have them explain it to you in great detail...it is the burden of the dealership to prove it was your CAI, not just blame it. Best of luck.

·
Registered
242 Posts

My take on this is that the DSI attachment is likely to break on every 2002 SVTF. (Don't know the case with the newer ones.)

It is just a matter of time. Cheap plastic. Mods or not, the thing is just gonna break.

Perhaps Ford is hoping that most will not snap until after the warranty is up. That's anyone's guess.

The service writer that denied you the repair under warranty is just an A-hole. Don't give that dealer any more of your money... EVER!

·
Banned
1,599 Posts

I spoke with Ford Customer service line (800.392.FORD) and they are telling me its up to the Ford rep. He will be coming to look at the car hopefully this week. How could I find out what other people are having this problem?? I know it cant be just 2 or 3 of us.

Any suggestions??

Ricky

·
Registered
619 Posts

you could post a poll for DSI issues

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts