Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Since I work for a Ford Dealership now, we just had one in the other day that was having issues. With all the warranty work that was done on the GT, cost came to $3500.00. Just to replace the door moldings: each side is:$1100. The GT was bought by a doctor. Paid $200,000 for the GT and then wanted the dealership to buy teh car back. The dealership said No way and to sell it on Ebay.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Since I work for a Ford Dealership now, we just had one in the other day that was having issues. With all the warranty work that was done on the GT, cost came to $3500.00. Just to replace the door moldings: each side is:$1100. The GT was bought by a doctor. Paid $200,000 for the GT and then wanted the dealership to buy teh car back. The dealership said No way and to sell it on Ebay.
Well the good Dr wanted an GT right away and paid too much for it and now hes suffering because he didnt wait for prices to get down to where they are supposed to be. Thats what happens when you Have-to-have it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
that's true, but if the car wasn't a POS, i'm sure he would keep it.

This all sounds like the problems they had when the Viper first came out.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
If Clarkson's car can be fixed with an aftermarket alarm system, then why not?

But one of the people on that website had a point, by buying it back, he's just letting Ford get away with their shoddy quality control.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
the article didn't say an aftermarket alarm system would fix the problem, near the end it says that

"It knows it’s a great, great car that was ruined by a useless ape who fitted a crummy aftermarket alarm system. "

not sure who installed the system, or who designed it.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Yeah, I read that... at the very end its blamed on an aftermarket part. I thought perhaps in british english that means "ford factory" somehow, because otherwise the story makes no sense. Just take off the aftermarket alarm. *scratching head* Oh wait, this is Clarkson we are talking about.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Ford has said I can buy the car back any time. It has even lent me an Aston Martin DB9 while I make up my mind. I don’t know though. I just don’t know.
Sadly, I've never been extended that courtesy while my SVT's been in for service.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Was he being sarcastic when he said ...gave me a Ford Focus with diesel engine. Nice."

·
Registered
697 Posts
his problems were related to an aftermarket alarm system installed locally.... not directly fords fault (but definitely the fault of the local dealer!).

·
Registered
948 Posts
Was he being sarcastic when he said ...gave me a Ford Focus with diesel engine. Nice."
NO..because that is the family "run about" which has never gone wrong. Got to love those TDCi's

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Yeah, I read that... at the very end its blamed on an aftermarket part. I thought perhaps in british english that means "ford factory" somehow, because otherwise the story makes no sense. Just take off the aftermarket alarm. *scratching head* Oh wait, this is Clarkson we are talking about.
I'm pretty sure he means that Ford is using an aftermarket alarm installed by the factory for use in the Ford GT's in Europe. Otherwise there is no way Ford would give him his money back for something he had done to the car.....

Remember he mentioned its all tied to the imobilizer.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Ford has said I can buy the car back any time. It has even lent me an Aston Martin DB9 while I make up my mind. I don’t know though. I just don’t know.
Sadly, I've never been extended that courtesy while my SVT's been in for service.

Drop 126,000 british pounds into Fords account and things will probably change. Ohh and also be one of the most important car critics in Europe and you'll get almost anything out of Ford there.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
The issue seems to be a alarm system. I'm not sure but that may be a non ford system.
Nobody is saying its a Ford system, but wait Ford doesn't design these systems, Visteon probably did or one of Fords many suppliers. So its still Fords fault that they couldn't correctly intergrate a simple thing like an alarm system.....

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
NO..because that is the family "run about" which has never gone wrong. Got to love those TDCi's
He was not being sarcastic, he even said on the last episode of Top Gear that aired in England last Sunday that he was given a Focus Wagon Diesal as a loaner car....

I love the Focus but thats just a joke.......

·
Registered
948 Posts
Come on guys, Ford still haven't resolved the problem with the ST170 dashboard illumination flickering or not illuminating, and that is down to the varistor (rheostat) for controlling the brightness !

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Unfortunately, this is a good example of why I would never buy a $70k+ Ford product. Much like I'd never buy a $20k+ Korean car, no matter how "impressive".

They just seem to be niche companies. I took my girlfriend's 325 in to get its oil changed last week. Even though its only a 3 series, they bent over backwards for us! The service center was amazing, clean, and the people very professional. No way can you expect the same $12k and $120k+ cars to be serviced at the same dealerships and expect the clientele that can spend the $120k+ to be happy.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
I'm pretty sure he means that Ford is using an aftermarket alarm installed by the factory for use in the Ford GT's in Europe. Otherwise there is no way Ford would give him his money back for something he had done to the car.....
Basing that on what?

My Focus had issues with an aftermarket alarm installed by my dealership. And when I checked the other Foci on the lot that they used that non-approved alarm on (Foci need a special one), they all did that (worst if the dome is turned off).

My dealership sold it to me, and it was them I had to deal with regarding the solenoid buzzing.

The fix (didn't really have a good one) and money offered to me is technically "Ford" in that its a Ford dealership, but thats really not Ford Motor Company's fault, although of course I had to complain about the dealership to them.

He specified this is an aftermarket alarm. It was likely installed by the dealer that sold him the car, and then offered to buy back because:

A) I'm sure they recognize its their fault and they don't know how to fix it (their techs are apparently clueless about GTs)
B) They can likely resell it for more than they are buying it off him.
C) He is a very high-profile customer that could attract a lot of bad attention.

Clarkson is a drama queen, which makes him entertaining on TV, but you have to take anything he says with an... atlantic ocean of salt. Another case of irresponsible journalism, since he really should be just complaining that a local dealership treated him poorly and doesn't know how to properly support a car that is very rare there... but that wouldn't make headlines, would it?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts