Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I haven't had my volant for long, but around a month ago I moved to an area where I have to drive 4 miles on a dirt road everyday. It's no longer blue, but more of a dust color.

I ordered the cleaning kit from AFE, but I am really timid of oiling the filter myself. My friend put an over-oiled K&N filter on his jetta and had to have the mafs replaced, cost him $500.

Even though I'm sure it wouldn't cost that much, I know if I screw up, I have to pay to have it fixed. Anyone have any pointers or certain things to look for when I am cleaning/oiling my filter? I have never cleaned or oiled a filter before so other than things I find either on here or from afe, I have not previous experience or know-how.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Is the oil colored? I know the K&N recharge kit oil is red so you know where you've already sprayed. That would help with preventing over-oiling.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Its a very easy process. Just take your time when oiling; use quick "misting sprays" about 10" away until you have a nice even coat all around.
Let the filter sit upright for a few hours to let the oil soak in. Then just touch up the filter if there are any light spots.

·
I'll Buy YOUR car for $10,000!!!
3,602 Posts
besides, if you mess up your MAF, just get a bigger/better one...win/win situation...

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
definately

·
Banned
830 Posts
So light easy spray is the way to go?

Which is the best filter cleaning kit to get?

I'm going to be doing this soon as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts