Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know of a good how-to for a cluch install or do you recomend just going off of the Haynes repair book. I'm installing a spec 2. I have read that in a flywheel tool will be needed to to hold it when tightening it back down. Any help would be great.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
flywheel tool is a cheap tool that holds the wheel by the ring gear so you can wrench the bolts off. Dont try to hold it by hand or you will lose a finger. I have proof.
following the haynes manual is fine. Procedure is reletively simple. The biggest hassle is the divers side half shaft. If you dont have a slide hammer with the right attachment, you'll need to remove the passenger side first and then have a friend apply even pressure with a prybar while you take a long screwdriver, feed it through the differential, and give a few solid whacks on the shaft. Its important that the assistant dosent pry too hard on the shaft. The design of the housing for the mtx0-75 is such that the shaft will rotate and the screwdriver will get lodged in the diff, possibly causing damage.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I followed the Haynes manual, and it all went pretty well. The only thing I'd add is that the Haynes procedure has you do stuff that isn't absolutely necessary. For instance, you don't need to remove the starter - just unbolt it from the block, leave the electrical connections alone, and zip-tie it out of the way. And the axles don't have to come out of the car entirely - you can leave them in the steering knuckles.

Pulling the tranny is a lot of work, but if you're persistent you'll be fine. If you get discouraged easily, this is not a good DIY project for you.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts

What the manual and nobody else has told you is how HUGE a pain in the ass it is to get the tranny out of and back into the engine bay!

You may not HAVE TO remove the starter, but you'll have alot more room to work if you remove the starter, the axles, the towing bracket, the ignition coil, and anything else you can get out of the way.
I have a thread further down about MTX-75 Shifter cable removal, and there are more tips there.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
W/O a lift, I couldn't get my car high enough off the ground to get a person under the tranny and still have room to drop it all the way out.
We used a tranny jack, which is flatter than a person when all the way down.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just an update, We got the clutch in and luckily my dad can bench 80 lbs! it was a pain to get the tranny in and out but we got it done. thanks for the advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts