Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 ZX3 50000 miles stock (oooh the power)

Long time lurker, very rare poster! You guys answer my questions before i need to ask. I just moved to Southeast Florida, and my car was sitting for 7 months, no driving other than moving it in the driveway (no insurance = suspended plates and license in NYS for equal time). When we went to load it on the car carrier, I heard this massive CLUNK on the left side, like a baseball bat under my car. Only happens when i hard turn LEFT.

Could this be a bad CV joint? The boots not ripped...Or something else? Is it safe to drive this way, and for how long?? If so, Is it hard to replace myself? what kind of money in parts or having someone else do it?

Also have a CEL, but thats not the issue, egr related i think.

·
███████
2,662 Posts
It could be a tie-rod -- My focus does the same thing turning left, my CV boots are intact and not leaking with 51 K on my car as well

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah I've been there, and yup, its most definately you cv joint. I had mine done at a repair shop for $120 each parts and labor. Only one was bad but I figured if one is bad the other is headed that way so I did both and feel more confident. That did it and 30,000 miles later still no problems. Even if the boot is intact, the damage is internal.

·
Banned
926 Posts
Make sure you sway bar/tie rod is tight, then consider the cv joint.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
It's 90% your cv joint, tie rod don't clunk in my experience also check your wheel bearings that can do it to. Tie rod will cause a vibration and a loose feeling in your steering wheel, it will want to wander a bit when driving. It could also be your strut mount to so chekc those 3 things

·
Registered
350 Posts
I bought my used focus with 16,000 miles on it and it had that problem when i tested it. Supposedly it was just a loose screw that was hitting when i would turn left. I didnt believe the guy who sold the focus to me, but he got the problem fixed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
is ti in the front or back? my 01 had a recall on rear wheel bearings seals that where cause the bearings to fail, and mine made the same clunk. thats only in the back though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts