Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how long your guys stock clutches last with boost. My car has 48K on it and the clutch was perfect before turbo. Now if I do any kind of "spirited shifting" the clutch will slip. It doesn't slip if you let the clutch out kinda slow and then get on it. This is after only about 30 boosted miles. Either my clutch is weaksauce or I'm making decent power.

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
how much power are you making do you know? and if you clutch is slipping even a little i would replace it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven't got to a dyno yet. Hopefully I can get some numbers/tuning in a couple weeks. The clutch holds the power when put on gradually but when shifting a lil hard it just slips. I'm gonna try to save the clutch so I can get some dyno runs in. It should make it

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
my car lasted for a year and a half or 25k mi on the stock clutch. its now exhibiting symptoms akin to what you mentioned. im planning on a new clutch asap.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I'm still on the stock clutch. It's holding ~200fwhp just fine, but I don't drag race it.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Still on the stock clutch after approx 60k boosted miles(70k on the car). Although, the first 50k or so of those were very modest output of not much more than 170whp/175ft-lbs. Now probably just under 200/200 at 60k boosted miles and the clutch seems to still be holding fine. Although I've been very gentle on the clutch over its life.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I'm convinced that slipping the clutch on launches or through poor shifting technique, or no-lift shifts, are what kill the clutches. Once you start to overheat it doing that, it starts to slip even when released, and then it's all downhill from there.

My engine makes so much torque so early, I don't need to slip it to get a decent launch. And I always lift, shift, release then power while driving on track. A little slower yes, but it so far has staved off the need for a new clutch. (and flywheel while I'm in there
)

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Its also starting to look like, that under 200hp/200ft-lbs, an OEM clutch will/should have no issues with holding the power unless you abuse it. And if you're not abusing it, there's no reason why it shouldn't last nearly as long as it would if only subjected to stock output numbers.

I'm at 70k on the odometer and fully plan on making it to 100k on this stock clutch. When the stock clutch goes, its getting replaced with another stock clutch.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I think I must have well over 200 fwtq now... I was at 187 before the intercooler.

·
Where is my @#$ antenna?!
4,107 Posts
Isn't this clutch basically the same clutch used in the MTX-75 Contours and SVT Contours? Alot of those have been taken well over 200whp on stock clutches with no ill effects. It would depend on your driving

·
Registered
675 Posts
115000 Km's on stock clutch and it still holding.

10Psi, TD05 Turboi, no clue what my power is.....

I drag race also....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts