Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my clutch master cylinder piston broke and i was wondering how hard it would be for me to do the swap with a new one or if it would be better to have the dealer do it?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I've never done it, but it doesn't look too difficult. I think the hardest part is keeping brake fluid off the carpet.

A lot of people have problems with bleeding the system, though. I used a power bleeder after re-installing my tranny, and it was a piece of cake. If you don't have a power bleeder, bleeding the brakes will be a big PITA without a helper. With a helper, it should be a lot easier, but I can't speak from experience on that one.

If you're not comfortable doing the work yourself, a dealer shouldn't charge much to do the work. It can be a messy job, but it shouldn't take long AFAIK.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx man just did the swap out to the new master cylinder, it took like 2.5 hours but i had no idea what i was doing
. it runs perfect with no flaws at all. i have done every single thing to my car my self except the P&P so i thought why not try this.
thanks for the advice

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was so hard trying to figure out how to get to that part i ended up taking of the fuse box and the left front wheel well cover to be able to get to them. the haynes manuel says to jack up the car and do it but there is no way you can do that i couldnt fit my arms into where it was and im not a big guy

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Cool - glad it worked out for ya.

I try to do all my own stuff, too - aside from opening up the transmission to install the Quaife, I've done everything myself.

Reaching stuff is a problem for me, too, and I've got fairly girlie arms. That's why I haven't tweaked my very-slightly-misaligned shift linkage - it's too much of a PITA to get to the adjusters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts