Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have a Clutchmasters Stage 3 hooked up to a Fidanza FW after about 25K it is beginning to slip so I need a new clutch.

I am thinking about the post-TSB style LUK kit that FS sells.
http://www.focussport.com/clutch.htm#luk

My engine is pretty much stock and I have no desire to ever go with any form of FI, most of the time I am fairly easy on the car and don't beat on it that often but I do autocross. What I want to know is will this clutch hold up for a long time if autocrossed a coupe times a month and if not what would be a good alternative.

I am not interested in one of those South Bend clutches for various reasons.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power Surge said:
South Bend. No other choice IMO.
I'm not interested in them.
Right now the SVT is my only car so I can't take my Fidanza out of my car to male off to them. Plus their whole setup looks dodgy.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Jasonof2000 said:
I'm not interested in them.
Right now the SVT is my only car so I can't take my Fidanza out of my car to male off to them. Plus their whole setup looks dodgy.
What are you talking about??

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Power Surge said:
What are you talking about??
On the other forum they are talking about having to send there Fidanza's in to be milled down to fit the clutch, which is basically an Audi clutch.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Jasonof2000 said:
On the other forum they are talking about having to send there Fidanza's in to be milled down to fit the clutch, which is basically an Audi clutch.
Yes, it's an Audi pressure plate which also fits the Fidanaza flywheel. I posted in that thread as well, I have have no idea what they are getting machined. I took mine out of the box, and installed it. Nothing more to it. Stock pedal feel, but holds supercharged power. And I'm not sure what you mean by it looks "dodgy". It's just a pressure plate and a clutch disc (also came with a new T/O bearing). Looks the same as any other parts you'd get from another manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
with any "new" clutch now you will have to get a flywheel to go with the clutch everyone is doing their own thing. Check out LUK kit. Focussport has them, just like OEM

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kennan J said:
with any "new" clutch now you will have to get a flywheel to go with the clutch everyone is doing their own thing. Check out LUK kit. Focussport has them, just like OEM
That is the kit I'm not interested in, but I want to know if it will hold up to daily driving and multiple autocrosses a month.

·
is REALLY worried about very little things...
5,145 Posts
Is your CM stg 3 the post-TSB design? If so, that kinda makes me wary of getting it when I go FI. I can't speak from personal experience, but I'd have to say all I've heard are good things about South Bend. And as for Luk, everyone says they have a stock feel but waaay more quality than OEM so I would imagine autocrossing wouldn't be horrible, although I guess it matters how you do it. Sorry, but there just aren't too many options for our dying breed. Sometimes ya just have to choose the better of two evils...if that's the way you see it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bmylez said:
Is your CM stg 3 the post-TSB design? If so, that kinda makes me wary of getting it when I go FI. I can't speak from personal experience, but I'd have to say all I've heard are good things about South Bend. And as for Luk, everyone says they have a stock feel but waaay more quality than OEM so I would imagine autocrossing wouldn't be horrible, although I guess it matters how you do it. Sorry, but there just aren't too many options for our dying breed. Sometimes ya just have to choose the better of two evils...if that's the way you see it.
It is a Pre-TSB design.

My concern about South Bend is that there do not seem to be too many people that have it who have a lot of miles on them yet. Sure they seem great now, but so did my Stage 3 and less than 25K later it is junk.

·
5,145 Posts
Well if your CM is pre-TSB, that's mainly the problem. A post-TSB CM would/should be much better. Or you could try Spec. Either way, stg 3 is overkill for your mods, though I do like the feel of a stiff clutch. My friend had a stg 4+ clutch on his N/A S2k, and I loved the feel. He eventually turbo'd it, so it was useful in the end.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bmylez said:
Well if your CM is pre-TSB, that's mainly the problem. A post-TSB CM would/should be much better. Or you could try Spec. Either way, stg 3 is overkill for your mods, though I do like the feel of a stiff clutch. My friend had a stg 4+ clutch on his N/A S2k, and I loved the feel. He eventually turbo'd it, so it was useful in the end.
A post TSB CM can't use my current flywheel and I have no desire to go back to CM, I went with CM in the first place because supposedly they were much better quality than stock.

·
5,145 Posts
Post-TSB anything can't use your flywheel... That's the whole point. Everything has been revamped. I believe the pressure plate and clutch disc area have been increased, so you can't use a pre-TSB flywheel.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bmylez said:
Post-TSB anything can't use your flywheel... That's the whole point. Everything has been revamped. I believe the pressure plate and clutch disc area have been increased, so you can't use a pre-TSB flywheel.
I know, the Luk kit has a new flywheel (I'm tired of the noise my Fidanza is making).

·
Registered
455 Posts
Jasonof2000 said:
I know, the Luk kit has a new flywheel (I'm tired of the noise my Fidanza is making).
How is your Fidanza flywheel "making noise"?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Power Surge said:
Flywheel chatter, at first I didn't mind it but it slowly started to annoy me.

·
5,145 Posts
Power Surge said:
It makes noise because it's not a dual mass flywheel like the stocker. The stock fly has a spring-action connecting the two halves and consequently dampens the noise. Aftermarket flywheels are just one solid disc and so make a chattering noise during deceleration or at idle. I don't mind it too much, though if people don't know what's going on, it sounds like your tranny is about to blow.

·
Registered
455 Posts
:what:

I've been doing this a long time, and never heard of a solid flywheel making a chattering noise. Plus it's kind of impossible according to the laws of physics :p .

The chatter you hear is from the clutch disc springs, not the flywheel. Switching to a solid mass flywheel might irrirtate the clutch disc, but it obviously isnt coming from the flywheel which has no moving or loose parts.

And FWIW, my Fidanza flywheel with the South Bend clutch doesn't make any noise. It drives like a stock SVT clutch, but holds supercharged power.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Power Surge said:
:what:

I've been doing this a long time, and never heard of a solid flywheel making a chattering noise. Plus it's kind of impossible according to the laws of physics :p .

The chatter you hear is from the clutch disc springs, not the flywheel. Switching to a solid mass flywheel might irrirtate the clutch disc, but it obviously isnt coming from the flywheel which has no moving or loose parts.

And FWIW, my Fidanza flywheel with the South Bend clutch doesn't make any noise. It drives like a stock SVT clutch, but holds supercharged power.
How many miles do you have on the South Bends clutch and how much is one without the flywheel (the only ones listed on their website come with flywheels)?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Jasonof2000 said:
How many miles do you have on the South Bends clutch and how much is one without the flywheel (the only ones listed on their website come with flywheels)?
I've got 2k on mine so far, there are a few people here who have done them before me though. Check the transmission forum.

I think I paid like $450 for the plate/disc/bearing.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts