Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 2003 with 6500 miles on it, and the clutch is already starting to slip.
When I bring it up past 5 in first and shift to second, the clutch will slip for a good 3-5 seconds. This really sucks.

Nows my question, I have a short shifter, will that have anything to do with the warranty? If its not covered, should I have them fix it and ill pay for it, or should I just get a race clutch while Im at it? I know what youre thinking, why dont you just put the stock shifter in for a while until its fixed, well, I dont have the stock one anymore cause I cut it down and didnt like it so I just got the SS.

Now is advice time.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Should be covered up to 12,000 miles, but beware, if they see signs of abuse (hotspots and/or glazing, which are often cause by doing burnouts or riding the clutch) they may give you crap about it and try to get you to foot most or all of the bill. Hotspots and glazing can happen as a result of clutch slippage, too. make sure to remind them of that if they start to give you any flack.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I dont have the stock one anymore.

I got it, ill swap mine with my dads for a while.

Hopefully it will be done by the 17th.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can really use some help here, Im about to bring it into ford her in like 15 minutes. Will the SS get me some crap from the ford techs? I already disconnected my battery so they cant blame it on hitting the rev limiter.

Need help. My dad is not home and he has the other 2003.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
theres a good chance that the SS will lead to problems.... but mebbe not.... clutches are tough man!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hopefully not, cause its still on the car, and they have it.
I think I might have them put the centerforce in from the ford racing catalog, that way it will be under warranty. Do you think they will let me split the difference?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
ford racing parts can void the warenty. and disconectiong the battery will show a p 1000 (incomplete drive cycle) that will show you are trying to hide soem thing. hitting the rev limiter can be blamed on a slipping clutch. good luck

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ford racing parts can void the warenty. and disconectiong the battery will show a p 1000 (incomplete drive cycle) that will show you are trying to hide soem thing. hitting the rev limiter can be blamed on a slipping clutch. good luck
I was told by SCARECROW that buying parts from the ford racing catalog and having them installed by ford would put it under warranty. Thats why his supercharger is under warranty. And they cant just assume that you are trying to hide something, there could be a lot more reasons than that to disconnect the battery. They can assume all they want but that wont get them anywhere.

It doesnt matter anyway, Im getting the centerforce.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those dumbasses at ford said my clutch doesnt slip. Yeah I was imagining the smoke pouring out from under my hood, and the fact that my rpm's kept going up, but my car was going nowhere. It WAS slipping. Pretty much anything above 4-5000 rpm's in a shift from 1st to 2nd will make it slip. The weird thing is, is that I set the trip odometer when I droopped it off, but when I picked it up, there was 9 miles on the trip odometer, and they said that three people drove it. I doubt they got it up to operating temp in 9 miles, especially if they stopped twice. Im a little pissed now to say the least.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Or take it to Victor Ford. I know they like to give out free clutches, LOL.

shhhhhhhhh!!!!!11 you didnt hear that from me, hehe.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might do that.

Today I thought it was getting better(
) so I decided to do a little bornout, nothing but clutch. It didnt burnout at all, well, except for the chirp in second gear.
Its starting to piss me off.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I might do that.

Today I thought it was getting better(
) so I decided to do a little bornout, nothing but clutch. It didnt burnout at all, well, except for the chirp in second gear.
Its starting to piss me off.

That proabably didn't help your clutch out!!! I got lucky and Ford replaced mine (still in the process) under warranty. So I'm gonna baby the hell outta this clutch cause I don't want to have to buy one until i'm ready for REAL power

CCC

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats just the thing, how come it does it for me all the time, but the idiotic ford techs cant get it to slip.
Im going to a different dealer on monday and I will give him a ride instead of letting them drive it. That way I can show him.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Thats just the thing, how come it does it for me all the time, but the idiotic ford techs cant get it to slip.
Im going to a different dealer on monday and I will give him a ride instead of letting them drive it. That way I can show him.
Probably the best idea...thats what I was going to do if it came to that. Just go and show them...but don't go to burnouts in order to show em...you know!!!
If you had the same prob as I did...if you go in about any gear at a cruising speed then ease into the the throttle alittle harder then normal (like if you were to pass) it'll cause the clutch to slip. Thats probably the best way to show them w/o showing them that you abuse the hell out of it but doing burnouts for the Ford Tech!!!

CCC

1 - 20 of 21 Posts