Ford Focus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys help me out here, been hearing centerforce dual friction, no good, good, ok, ! WTF! for $198 seems ok! ACT, Clutch masters much more, but doesthe price make up for the quality? I need help. Also LSD is it a must while doing this, is it extra work or is it time to do this while the clutch is being replaced? or does it require more assembly. Flywheel? should i do this now! insteed of the LSD? because it is right there w/the clutch?

Guys please help me out want to do this the right way.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
watchin other peep's experiences and some of the other 'clutch' threads on here...sounds like 'stay away from centerforce'...sheesh my buddy baconzx3 had 1 hand grenade (half the friction material fell off and disintegrated) just a few wks after install.

just get ur flywheel resurfaced if its in decent shape.

if u can even think bout coughin up the cash, get the lsd done at the same time.

my .02

-Ult

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]</p>

·
Registered
542 Posts
You know, its funny you mention bacon and clutches. B/C I remember at the dyno day he attended, when he was trying to get his car onto the rollers he was revving at like 6000 Rpm's!
It made all of us watching laugh. Also when he pulled out of the parking lot he practically was bouncing off his rev limiter in 1st gear from a dead stop.

So Bacon + blown clutch = understandable.

I installed a centerforce clutch on a focus, the guy has 22k miles on the car and not a complaint yet, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Well, I saw and heard a lot of good, and also alot of bad about Centerforce for other vehicles. I talked to a few people with it on the Focus, seemed to be ok.

I bought the centerforce, and I am doing the work myself, so if I need to get a Clutch Masters or ACT down the road, It's not like I am wasting money on labour, the money I spent on the Centerforce is less then labour would have been.

OK, that said, I put on the center force with the stock flywheel. It had LOTS of "hot spots" but I brought it to the local machine shop and got it re-surfaced. I then put everything back together with a new Slave Cylinder (Throwout bearing).

It's been 2 weeks now, and I have 60 km's left on the break in. I am doing 1000 km's of stop and go driving, no WOT, not even half throttle, and no reving above 3000rpm.

It will be broken in fully by tonight, and I will then test it out with stock like power (125whp 132 ft. lbs torque) over the weekend.

Next week, I am putting my "Jay Turbo kit" # 2 and will be pushing ~200whp. So I will let you know in a week or too how this clutch is holding up.

If worse comes to worse, I will buy a new tranny, with a Clutch master or ACT and put that in.

·
Registered
412 Posts
i bought a centerforce clutch for mine,but have not installed it yet. but for the money you cant beat it. and all the honda guys i talked to say that they are pretty good. mcnews had the cheapest price i found. thats where i got mine.

mike

·
Registered
397 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Focaltech01:
You know, its funny you mention bacon and clutches. B/C I remember at the dyno day he attended, when he was trying to get his car onto the rollers he was revving at like 6000 Rpm's!
It made all of us watching laugh. Also when he pulled out of the parking lot he practically was bouncing off his rev limiter in 1st gear from a dead stop.

So Bacon + blown clutch = understandable.

I installed a centerforce clutch on a focus, the guy has 22k miles on the car and not a complaint yet, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
<hr></blockquote>
that is very understandablle, but that was with my stock clutch, i didn't even get the centerforce installed until the monday after the dyno day, and i normally don't drive like that i just had alot of trouble getting onto the rollers

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: baconzx3 ]</p>

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
So what did you HONESTLY do during the break in period? LIke how many miles, how high was it reved to? WAs it a new flywheel, or machined old one (Machined means a machine shop, not a piece of sand paper
) did you go WOT? Cuz sure you can not have gone higher then 3000rpm, but if you were WOT till 3000rpm, that is not that great.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i did the proper break in period of 500 miles, never above 3 and never wot, and it was a machined flywheel, i did nothing wron gin the break in period

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Focaltech01:
It made all of us watching laugh.
<hr></blockquote>

yeah jeff, i'm sure u all also laughed when bacon pulled 140+ horsepower...w/o headwork, a chip, or...oh yeah...cams.

think i'll do the laughing now.

-Ult

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]</p>

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well, there UltegraSTi the problem with Bacons dyno runs was that he was making very little torque. So is making 141 HP impressive when you only have 130 TQ.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
y yes it is impressive...so y dont u go look 4 some more w/ur cams...sounds like more dyno time...

-Ult

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
then i guess many people's dyno's should be impressive because many can tune to have about 140...but some of us like torque in our diet...at least 135+

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yes Ultegra, in fact we do like some torque. Nothing bacon did was extraordinary, he simply bought a bunch of parts and put them on. No big deal and no we weren't impressed with 141 HP and 130 TQ. In fact I have dyno'd a 2000 vs. 2001 with identical mods and the 2000 makes 4-5 more whp due to the intake manifold. So alas I am not impressed.

Hey kid, go ride a bike or something, I have cars to dyno!

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
yeah ur ~late 20s, and ur callin me a kid ahahaha...

I love 2 ride bikes...u must have cars 2 dyno, need 2 go find that hp ur missin...

bacon's hp curve keeps goin steadily up til rev cut, and his tq curve is between 120-130 the whole time, almost flat enuff 2 eat dinner off of. i'm impressed...i'm not impressed on how u handle these matters, unfortunately...adjusting that problem is not as easy as movin a cam sprocket.

hey z, go elsewhere w/the clutch man, 2 much work/$$$ 2 shell out and not b sure.

-Ult

[ 09-07-2002: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]</p>

·
Registered
542 Posts
Ok, jackass, you seem do be in need of an attirude adjustment.

Fact- Your an idiot

Fact- Your car is slow

Fact- Your car is slower than mine, by alot

Fact- I work on Fords daily upgrading everything from Foci to Lighnings

Fact- You do not

Fact- You are a young person who has a focus and has no clue at all about automobile performance

Fact- My focus is my daily driver and not a race car

Go to the track and run 15's, meanwhile I will be here builing up my car to run 13's.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
The topic here is a clutch...lets stick to it

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am going to probably get the Centerforce,

This is cool wathing people argue over the internet...Kinda childish of Focaltech01 to be a smart a$$ when I bet he still wants you guys as customers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.