Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Co-driver wanted for Open Road Rally in May \'04 (Gambler\'s Run)

Im planning on running the May '04 Nevada Open Road rally event (not sure if its gonna be the Gambler's Run, Bonneville 100, etc.) and would like a co-driver. Basically all you'd need, is the personal safety equip., half the hotel bill and any Co-driver entry fees.
Keep in mind, speeds up to 140 mph will be reached. The ability to focus at speed and be somewhat proficient in navigating / speed averaging, etc. is preferable.

I will be entering the Grand Touring One (GT1) class. 115 MPH average, 140 MPH Tech speed.

Personal Gear:
http://www.openroadracing.com/html/personal_safety.html

FAQ:
http://www.openroadracing.com/html/faq.html

Rules:
http://www.openroadracing.com/html/2003_rule_book.html

·
Registered
723 Posts
Re: Co-driver wanted for Open Road Rally in May \'04 (Gambler\'s R

i might consider it if you promise not to kill me.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will not kill my codriver

I forgot to mention, I WILL NOT KILL MY CODRIVER!

also, If you had a digi cam, that would be a plus. I'd like to get some in car video, and some video of the needle pegging out at 140.

OF course, when i post that up, everyone is gonna say "You cant post that here" and "street racing is bad". I wonder if anyone will actually belive its legal.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Re: I will not kill my codriver

gutted hatch you and i know that is legal. there are quite a few open road events now. they seem like a blast.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts

Why does this post sound a lot like "Hey, wanna go play with antique firearms, explosives, and broken glass.... it'll be fun, I promise!!!!!!!"

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

hey you want to do something really stupid. come ride out isabel on my boat. hear fun noises, get real wet, and remember lots of prayers. and maybe survive.

·
Registered
537 Posts

Its been going on for years and its pretty cool. Yes its fast but it still based on maintaining your average and staying closest to the time you set? I read an article on them. Sounds pretty farkin cool to race through the desert on the highways. Which are closed down FYI

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Why does this post sound a lot like "Hey, wanna go play with antique firearms, explosives, and broken glass.... it'll be fun, I promise!!!!!!!"
That does it! No being my co-driver!

J/k murph. You can be my wingman anytime.

Bull****, you can be mine...

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Re: Co-driver wanted for Open Road Rally in May \'04 (Gambler\'s Run)

I'm in, on two conditions. It's not too close to wife's b-day 5/19. You don't grab my knee pretending like you're gonna shift too many times.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

hell... I just may run it myself!

***sniff sniff***

do I smell a Focus Challenge exhibition?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I think I forgot to mention, the entry fee is between $3-500 for a driver, and I'm not sure what the codriver fees are. I will be actively scouting local sponsors for this race after the first of the year. Todd, maybe we could discuss some possible stratigies?

·
Registered
537 Posts

Sponsorship is unlikely. You cant get any less of a spectator sport. Its a race through closed off highways in the middle of the desert.

Todd's the pro tho. I just think generally sponsors want exposure?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Sponsorship is unlikely. You cant get any less of a spectator sport. Its a race through closed off highways in the middle of the desert.

Todd's the pro tho. I just think generally sponsors want exposure?
Local Sponsors would want local exposure. Like an article in the local newspaper...I think...and hope!

·
Registered
6,179 Posts

Local newspaper maybe, but for Todd who is involved in many different types of cars, I think that involvement would be a great marketting tool for a banner ad.

Just make sure you record your top speed, and have a banner ad made that says something like "The only brakes I trust at XXXmph are TCE brakes!". Sorry, I work in the automotive business and SIT NEXT TO the marketting guys. Somehow I think I won't be in their department any time soon....

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Local newspaper maybe, but for Todd who is involved in many different types of cars, I think that involvement would be a great marketting tool for a banner ad.
I was referring to my personal sponsorship. If Todd could somehow get a major sponsor of the Focus Challenge to pay in whole or in part for us to put on an exibition at the event, that would be cool, but he didnt sound too optimistic about the idea tonight. So I will pursue the good old fashioned practice of getting local businesses to couch up some $$$ for a local boy with big aspirations. Not to difficult...well maybe if i was like 10 again. "Hey mister, wanna buy some candy?"

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

The thing about sponsorship is exposure. Since there is relatively low turnout... you'll have none. And since thier own website has little to no sponsorship (and entry fees are rather high) its not likely that many are interested.

As for FocusChallenge sponsors signing on.... even if it were an official FocusChallenge exhibition, thats just an added bonus ("value added") to for sponsors.... they wouldn't pay extra for something like that.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts

Just make sure you record your top speed, and have a banner ad made that says something like "The only brakes I trust at XXXmph are TCE brakes!". Sorry, I work in the automotive business and SIT NEXT TO the marketting guys. Somehow I think I won't be in their department any time soon....
So in Gregs Case....

The only brakes I trust at 47 MPH are the Ford OEM pads

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

So in Gregs Case....

The only brakes I trust at 47 MPH are the Ford OEM pads
Must have caught a tailwind there eh?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts