Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dads looking at trading in his Mini Cooper, we went and checked out the Cobalt SS... and unfortunately he hits his head on the ceiling (he's 6'4'') arg. I test drove one though, much faster than my ZX3.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I bet it is... I'd be inclined to go with the SRT-4 over the SS if the price is close enough. He might have better luck with interior room, as well

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Good Lord why would you get rid of a Cooper for one of those cars? Ok will if it is not a Cooper S I would understand but if it is an S then why?

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Well it should be a lot faster than a ZX3. Its faster than a regular Neon or Cobalt too.

Usually, I'd be with you on the SRT-4, but with GM employee discount if it were a toss-up then that might push me in favor of the SS. Both are underrated from the factory... but yeah the SRT is still the better performer, but the SS has a nicer interior and styling IMO (IOW prettier).

My dad is 6'4" and he fit in the passenger seat. Are you sure he isn't pulling a typical dad and trying to sit completely upright (mine always does that). A little lean in the seat is allowed!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ive track driven the SS before, and even the Redline (same motor). I dont like the feel of the SS or the handeling in it. If I had to choose id get the Redline over the SS for all around performance. But if its between Cooper, SS, or SRT-4 id go with SRT-4. With the correct tuning and money you can get very good numbers.

·
I am Teds custom title. Not anything like the one
2,916 Posts
i vote SRT-4 all the way... im about 6'2 and had plenty of room
plus its only around 1600 it think for dodge to do stage 2

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
when i looked at the gm discount on the ss it still came out to be more money than a srt4 the cobalt is just too pricey imo

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Mini Cooper S is awesome. Too bad there $25K...:(

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Mini Cooper S performance levels are on paar with an SVT Focus (cept it looks cooler). But the S isn't priced that way... lets not kid ourselves and say the Mini offers the best bang for the buck. Its popular and not overproduced so they charge a lot for them and forget haggling.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Mini Cooper S performance levels are on paar with an SVT Focus (cept it looks cooler). But the S isn't priced that way... lets not kid ourselves and say the Mini offers the best bang for the buck. Its popular and not overproduced so they charge a lot for them and forget haggling.
Yes they are on par with the SVT on paper. Once you get to a track or autocross the MINI pulls away.

Plus the SVTF wasn't even a part of this discussion......

Ohh and nobody said it was best bang for buck... just pointing out that its not $25k

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Well, depends. Yes, base is only $20k, however I built one off mini.com and it was $38K
. I was just stating the general Mini Cooper S with options, packages, etc. Oh, btw. If you take a base S and add a JCW kit, there's the $25K

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
There was a head to head comparison in a Motor Trend a couple months ago between the Cobalt SS and the SRT-4. I remember that the SRT-4 won pretty much every 0-xx and 0-xxx run. The quarter mile time were both the same. I dont know how that is possible though. The cobalt weighs about 50lbs more and it has less horsepower.

The thing that got me the most was the torque steer test. They went up to like 10mph, took their hand off the wheel and punched it. The SRT-4 had a little, it gradually started going to the right a little. The cobalt ss however looked like it was making a right turn. It went off at a 45* angle. The SRT-4 has equal length halfshafts, thats one reason why it did so well.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
srt4=turbo ss=supercharged the srt4 will take more time to get into boost vs the ss be assured past the 1/4mi mark the srt will pull past

·
Registered
275 Posts
Um, they both have equal lenght halfshafts. I owned the srt and have driven the ss, torque steer is not a problem in either car. I would still rather have a cooper s though.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
don't the cobalt ss's run like 14's or 15's stock, where the srt-4 runs just below 14sec in the quarter? Plus, the srt-4 can be pushed power wise much further than the ss. also for the torque steer test that was mentioned above, the srt4 doesn't have equal length half shafts...that's the mini. The srt4 does have a LSD from the factory though.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
The thing that got me the most was the torque steer test. They went up to like 10mph, took their hand off the wheel and punched it. The SRT-4 had a little, it gradually started going to the right a little. The cobalt ss however looked like it was making a right turn. It went off at a 45* angle. The SRT-4 has equal length halfshafts, thats one reason why it did so well.
Torquesteer = journalist bullpoo.

Hold the frickin' wheel and mash the gas pedal... Is that so hard?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Im just passing along info I read in Motor Trend. Dont shoot the messenger.

the srt4 doesn't have equal length half shafts...that's the mini. The srt4 does have a LSD from the factory though.
Get your facts straight. SRT-4 does have equal length half shafts.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts