Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having major idle problems since I had my cam gears installed. Once I get the Valve Cover gasket in, I will redo the install to ensure TDC and proper tooth alignment.

In the process of looking at all this, I have triple checked my plugs and wires. Today I checked the coil connections, and number 4 on the coil is burnt. I mean black burnt, as is the plug wire contact. I went to grab the old stock wire and discovered, to my dismay, that the number 4 stock wire was not only broken, but the contact was bent sideways and burnt as well. This has been well over a year with the FS wires, but obviously the root of the problem was there before.

What I am asking here is, will the coil actually go bad due to this type of scenario? I am guessing that part of my issue is that number 4 isn't firing any longer, or if it is, it is missing massively.

Anyone else ever have this trouble?

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: poSSumX ]</p>

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm reluctant to answer as I would suggest checking for spark. A common practice with us older guys - not much danger in it from my 1969 Camaro. On a new car, I guess you could fry your pinky, or worse, your computer. I'm sure there is a way to check for continuity and resistance across the terminal, but why don't you just buy a new coil and see if that helps?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm one of those "older" guys as well, and this was piece of cake on my 79 Trans Am or my 70.5 Camaro, but on these new cars, with all the electronics, the risk of damage is there. Definitely don't want to blow the PCM check for spark continuity, or anything else for that matter.

I have order a new Coil (Screaming Demon & Wires), so we will see....aaarrgh!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts