Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering which intake will give the best all around horsepower gains, and which will still let my magnaflow cat back sound good, thanks for the help in advance.

--------------------
Focus On This!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Have you tried searching? The intake question has been beaten with an ugly stick over and over. The AEM CAI has the highest dyno gains of any intake yet. The exhaust note is more audible down below 4000 while an intake will take over from then on. That's just the nature of the beast.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
The AEM CAI has the highest dyno gains of any intake yet.
Got proof????
Personally, I'd recomend either the Volant or the k&n FIPK.
I have and love the k&n, but if I had to start over, I'd do the Volant before anything else on the market.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The AEM CAI has the highest dyno gains of any intake yet.
Got proof????
Personally, I'd recomend either the Volant or the k&n FIPK.
I have and love the k&n, but if I had to start over, I'd do the Volant before anything else on the market.
Here's an honest 3rd party dyno of it. I've never seen another intake for the focus dyno higher.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Keep in mind, that dyno was with the prototype of AEMs cold air intake. If you read the article where the graph came from, it says AEM made them a prototype for the car - not the manfactured one everyone else has.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I'm gonna pimp the Iceman; especially nice low and midrange gains, good sound and looks "stock" (if you get it in balck)...

·
Registered
33 Posts
AEM before they redid their site,had the dynos for most of the vehicles with the short ram or CAI. I saved what they put for the focus(the CAI) but i remember the dyno showing a max gain of 12.2 hp. Ill post it whne i get home becuz right now im at school

·
I'm black below the waist
2,739 Posts
AEM before they redid their site,had the dynos for most of the vehicles with the short ram or CAI. I saved what they put for the focus(the CAI) but i remember the dyno showing a max gain of 12.2 hp. Ill post it whne i get home becuz right now im at school
haha 12.2 hp from an intake? I call BS! I don't know about the AEM, but I love my volant. The butt dyno likes it and it sounds damn good. Plus you don't have to worry about having a bypass valve for them rainy days....

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Hey look at the intake poll, that's where you can give props to your intake. Rookie's pleas spend half a second looking before you post.

·
Registered
871 Posts
ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding we have a winner!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I get a 9 hp gain with my volant. that is with a FS race header , Magnaflow, and UDP's. I had a run done with the stock air box and then I put the Volant on to see what would happen. I actually gained tourqe through out the run as well.
So with other mods done you still only gained what the AEM is capable of with stock parts. That doesnt seem too great to me. He asked what the highest dyno'ing intake was. I'm the only one who's provided an answer yet. The rest of you can ramble about your crap "Butt dyno" but that's BS to me. The only way you can see the difference in these intakes is in competition and on the dyno.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Andy i am starting to think you like the AEM intake.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Andy i am starting to think you like the AEM intake.
HAHA....yeah...it certainly is the least hassle you'll ever get out of an intake. I like things that are well designed from the get go, that you never have to think about later. I like good products

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
not to be rude, but you provided a magazine dyno of a non-production version of an intake.

i hate these topics, because it always becomes a "mine is better" thread.

·
Registered
193 Posts
hmm...cai shootout, wrcfan?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
not to be rude, but you provided a magazine dyno of a non-production version of an intake.
What's different about that intake from the one's people have on their cars in here? The only thing that's missing is the coating. And yeah, it's a dyno from a magazine which is the most reliable source for an unbiased dyno. What point were you trying to make?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
What's different about that intake from the one's people have on their cars in here? The only thing that's missing is the coating. And yeah, it's a dyno from a magazine which is the most reliable source for an unbiased dyno. What point were you trying to make?
Dude, I said it and he said it too. We just want people to know that the product they tested was not the production model that everyone buys. I'm sure these guys do great unbiased dyno work, but we just want people to understand what they were testing might not be the exact model that people buy.

·
I have a golden finger
1,834 Posts
these are snags from the AEM pdf
corrected max TQ is 12.8 @ 3,500
corrected max HP is 12.1 @ 6,750

i personally have the AEM cold air fakie...the BOMZ, i like it, it sounds aggressive, but i haven't thrown it on a dyno to find out though

*edit* you should also try to get Focus Sport to post some of their dynos, or go to the FS website

1 - 20 of 21 Posts