Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On this week's Autoline Detroit - Phil Martens, VP, Product Creation for Ford said the following...and I quote:

...when you think about what's coming up on Focus, we'll announce the 2.3L ST version, now THAT is a fun to drive product.
What is the 2.3L ST? Did he let something slip that he shouldn't have?

My educated guess is that it may be the 160HP version of the 2.3L that will be used in the upcoming Mazda3?

Where does that leave the SVTF? There is no way that 10HP would separate a "standard" and a "high performance" version.

Will the SVTF go the way of the Contour SVT, or are we to expect exciting things in the power department from SVT?

Only time will tell, but I know one thing...a sure way to make people forget the fact that we won't be seeing the revised styling of the C1 in North America would be to infuse the SVTF with some serious power.

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
The PZEV already has more torque than the SVTF I believe. Either SVT needs to step up or they need to step out of the way and let mainstream Ford come out with a better performing, more cost effective, and (hopefully) more reliable car.

Or maybe somebody couldn't type and/or read their own notes and "ST" is really "SVT"? Either way SVT could use some more work in the SVTF department.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Seems like the SVTF is referred to as the ST170 quite a bit in Ford documentation, even in North America. Maybe he is talking about the next gen SVTF?

Yeah, that's it - the next gen SVTF/ST <font color="red"> 250 </font>

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Hey I thought it would be called GT???

It will have to be at least 180hp.

I will explain later.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
mazda 3 is supposedly getting a 180 hp 2.3... dunno if htat's what biker's saying or not. But, eh.

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, you guys could be right...he might have been referring to it as the ST as in ST170 or forgot the V in SVT (which I couldn't imagine).

But I guess what CAN be gleaned from the comment is that the Focus will be getting something over and above the basic 2.3. Whether that means tweaked normal aspiration (for say 40HP more i.e. 200ish) or forced induction...I imagine we'll have to wait until the Chicago Auto Show...or at least Detroit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I THIRD this!!!

DATES and SPECS please. My Gold lease is up mid-next year and I'd like to get into a Focus (if they can make one powerfule enough).

The public has a right to know!!!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Hey I thought it would be called GT???

It will have to be at least 180hp.

I will explain later.
I Read a quote by Dave Szczupak about The 2.3 making 180hp in some applications also FYI the Japanese Spec 2.3 makes 175hp, without any fancy stuff.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I heard that this morning and I was like "Eh! Did I hear that correctly?"

If some new model is coming out I may have to wait on getting something again for a while.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Biker, are you back-peddling? Or are you trying to throw us off?
Umm.... no The Japanese Spec Mazda6 2.3 makes 175hp on premium, And without a doubt the 2.3 will be making 180hp from the factory, The question is whether the Focus will make that much power this spring.

·
Registered
798 Posts
This is a quote from Mazda from the Frankfurt IAA

The sporty Mazda3 features seating for five and a large cargo area. Specific details as to which engines would be available in North America were unavailable; however, it's likely the Mazda3 will sport the 2.0-liter 150-horspower engine

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
This is a quote from Mazda from the Frankfurt IAA

The sporty Mazda3 features seating for five and a large cargo area. Specific details as to which engines would be available in North America were unavailable; however, it's likely the Mazda3 will sport the 2.0-liter 150-horspower engine
It can be had with both 2.0 and 2.3. Good to see the 2.0 has that much power.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Biker, are you back-peddling? Or are you trying to throw us off?
Umm.... no The Japanese Spec Mazda6 2.3 makes 175hp on premium, And without a doubt the 2.3 will be making 180hp from the factory, The question is whether the Focus will make that much power this spring.
Oh, it better not!

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
egz, don't worry bout it too much. VVT should be bolt on, more or less. And you knew about teh intake and exhaust restrictions from teh beginning

Unless the 2.3 ST comes pretty friggin soon, my money is still getting dumped on a 3

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
egz, don't worry bout it too much. VVT should be bolt on, more or less. And you knew about teh intake and exhaust restrictions from teh beginning

Unless the 2.3 ST comes pretty friggin soon, my money is still getting dumped on a 3
April 2004 is the job#1 date.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts