Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I just purchased my first ford (2001 Ford Focus ZX3) and joined this site in hope of learning all i can about my Focus so I wanted to start a thread of all the common Focus problems out there, that way we can prepare for battle in the garage and maybe catch something before it happens.

Id like to start off with the ones I'm facing now......

1) Valve Cover Gasket (eh easy fix)

2) Cooling Fan not working (from what ive read on here so far it seems to be the cooling fan resistor,or maybe the CHT is the culprit, maybe even the wiring harness) not sure yet?

3) Hood latch handle (mine is broken off)

4) Ball Joints (clicking noise on hills, i know there's a recall on them)

·
Registered
57 Posts
The most common ones I've seen or had happen:

-shifter housing breaking if you have biceps larger than a 5yr old girl
-leaky thermostat housing
-DPFE sensor (part of the egr system)
-Wiper motor (was a recall- mine croaked-easy fix though)

Other than that my car has been very reliable. I have well over 150,000mi on the original engine, tranny, clutch, cv shafts, ball joints, wheel bearings, fuel pump, alternator, battery, ect., ect.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have replaced my Dpfe sensor 5 times in 4 years. I think I should replace the EGR and it might stop killing my Dpfe sensors.

The master cylinder went out and all the brake lines had to replaced at 75k miles.

My radio has been wacked since purchasing the car, it works but it goes in and out, just shuts off, some time for a minute sometimes for 20 minutes. I have a hard time picking up stations but that has nothing to do with the car, brakes for less broke my attnena when backing it up and I can't just screw in anothing because it was ripped out and broken. The radio problem happen long before that though.

My car is 7 years old and I have to buy my 1st battery.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If you have a manual, the clutch master cylinder and the shifter base for the transmission are quite fragile. I never found a great fix for the master cylinder leaking (replacements are just as fragile), but the metal shifter base from Contours and Cougars is bulletproof.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Went through 3 plastic shift towers, then grabbed a contour tower, i think i'll break my shifter arm or the tranny before the bracket will ever die.....its made of cold hardened steel....i learned that the hard way when i started to try to modify mine a bit.

Replaced thermostat housing, PCV line (positive crankcase vacuum) or something like that.

Had an "oil leak" from the valve cover, replaced the gasket even though it was perfect, it's leaking again (i think), maybe new studs are the answer? loctite?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Same problem with the Blaupunkt!! Very frustrating but after reading this thread I'm fortunate it's the only one I've had with my 03.

However, my 08 wants to continue winding out after I take my foot off the gas pedal. Anyone else having that problem?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My shifter cables pop out of the floor clips when shifting. Its killin my synchros. Can't get em to stay down, tried bailing wire. no good. Help! (01 ford focus zx3 mtx-75)

·
Registered
1 Posts
A fix for the rear brake squeal is to bevel the edges of the brake shoes. Just make sure you do not breath the dust. Take a medium to coarse file and put a nice bevel on all edges of the shoes - paying special attention to the leading and trailing edges (short sides). This is the same trick used by many "performance part" manufacturers on front disk pads to keep them from squealing. By the way this is an "old" trick from the 60's hot rod days when everything was drum brakes and it was not cool to have the brakes heard over the lake pipes!:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
My clutch master cylinder leaked brake fluid on the inside of my car/floor mats. Replaced the front left control arm and lower ball joint. I have a rattle somewhere in the dash on the passenger side. Don't really care too much about that problem. My current issue is that my dome light doesn't turn off when I look my doors. -06 Focus ZX3

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh yeah...and my brake lights were stuck on anytime that the key was in the "ON" position. That turned out to be the brake light switch got loose somehow. Maybe I bumped it with my foot. All I had to do is snap it back into place. Thank God. -06 Focus ZX3

·
Registered
1 Posts
Front brake disks can warp easily, coil packs on earlier models, not very good, egr valve (ford deisel engines) are dreadful, common with more than the focus, corrossion around the front towing eye, common zetec problem, hesitation when pulling away, headlights fogging up, (this can be remedied with a good rubbing compound such as T cut) alarm system dont work, I also had this problem on a mk1 mondeo, turned out to be dodgy wiring in drivers door, maybe worth a look? Drop links can be a headache. Apart from these, the good in the focus completely outweighs the bad, and in my view, is the best model that Ford has produced. But thats only my view!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
IAC valve (idle air control) sticking causing hanging revs (usually).
Vac leaks
Ignition coil
Ignition coil pigtail Alt. pigtail
Front brake caliper sticking

1 - 20 of 20 Posts