Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be purchasing a poly mount sometime very soon and need some point of views.

Who has had both the Z-Eng and ES or Prothane motor mount? Can you give a decent comparison between the 2(Z-eng and ES/Prothane).

I think the biggest thing I want to know is, does the full mount make a bigger impact than the bushing itself, if it does have even a minimal affect - I will definately be going with FS' prven products.

But all the same, I want to see some opinions on it, from people who are able to compare them.

Let me hear it

- Drew

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I can't really compare, but I'll throw out an opinion.

The idea of being able to more easily swap motor mounts with the Z-engineering unit is a great strength. If you become annoyed by the increased vibrations, you can swap in the stock unit for street use and reinstall the Z-engineering unit when you hit the auto-x/drag strip. Just a thought.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
i just got the polyu mount bushings in yesterday... now sitting on my coffee table. for 5x the cost it can't be 5x better drew

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have the ES poly bushings in my ZX3 and i love them. Makes the car feel more responsive. The Z-eng. mount looks good but for the price I'd get the bushings.

They are quite easy to install. I used a large socket and a vise to press the old ones out and popped the new ones in.

As far as swapping mounts for daily driving you could always pick a stock mount up from someone who bought a Z- mount. But the vibes aren't all that bad.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas!

Yes, just read CTZX3's comparo - Very good.

I think with my limited budget, I wll be going for the ES Mounts.

- Drew

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by focusownerskid:
Thanks fellas!

- Drew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">DREW!!! Holdonaminnit!!!
First. There should be ZERO Difference between the full mount replacement and the bushings only.
The reason I say "Hold On", is that I've noticed One Peculiar thing in the threads on this topic.
I don't know the implications, but I've never read a thread where someone w/ the Prothane bushings complained of vibration. Every post that has has been from someone w/ the ES bushings.
I don't know if they use a different stiffness of Poly-U, or if it's only because more people have purchased the ES pieces....
Just an Observation.
I have the Prothane, and I LOVE them.

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
Thanks fellas!

- Drew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">good choice drew.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike,

Mostly because I would rather order from Tony D - And he doesn't have Prothane Mounts on his site. I looked and looked and didn't see them. Where did you get yours?

Chris,

Good review

- Drew

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mike,

Mostly because I would rather order from Tony D - And he doesn't have Prothane Mounts on his site. I looked and looked and didn't see them. Where did you get yours?

Chris,

Good review

- Drew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">look in the ENGINE section, I think they are there. Good luck

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well there they are!

They are in the Engine section, I didn't bother to look there as the ES mounts were in teh Susp. section and didn't think they would be abywhere else.

Thanks guys!

- Drew

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Well, Mikey, let me be the first to complain, I am SO FRIGGIN TIRED OF THE VIBRATION

but I have an auto....so it only makes it worse, the stock auto still shaked....cuz its like having it in friggin gear.....but, yeah, go for it Drew, you've got a stick, and its a very noticable mod

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I got them from Tony D via phone.
They hadn't been updated to his site when I ordered, but he deals w/ all of their kits.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have heard of the poly bushing creeping out after it's been pressed in. Any feedback? Maybe some sort of glue is in order.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Originally posted by JP:
I have heard of the poly bushing creeping out after it's been pressed in. Any feedback? Maybe some sort of glue is in order.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Never heard that. And if that was the case, where would it go? It's sandwidched between two pieces of metal with a bolt down the center.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
I don't know the implications, but I've never read a thread where someone w/ the Prothane bushings complained of vibration. Every post that has has been from someone w/ the ES bushings.
I don't know if they use a different stiffness of Poly-U, or if it's only because more people have purchased the ES pieces....
Just an Observation.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">http://www.focaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=006992#000000

http://www.focaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=007269#000000

I have the ES bushings and the only time it vibrates is with the A/C on.

[ 02-24-2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: BLOWNSTANG ]

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well, Mikey, let me be the first to complain, I am SO FRIGGIN TIRED OF THE VIBRATION

but I have an auto....so it only makes it worse, the stock auto still shaked....cuz its like having it in friggin gear.....but, yeah, go for it Drew, you've got a stick, and its a very noticable mod
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Get a throttle body or port yours, might make a difference with an automatic. I have the bushings from Sean Hyland Motorsport, and they haven't slipped out of the link like my prothane ones did. I DID blast the link out the second time though, and I used a press, as opposed to a dead-blow hammer.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Randy,

You know I would sport anything FS carries given the cash.

And down the road I plan on buying all 3 mounts from you guys. But for now the Prothane bushing will get the job done and get the feel I want for a lot less cash.

Just so everyone remembers - FocusSport Rocks!

- Drew

1 - 20 of 24 Posts