Ford Focus Forum banner

Comparo - ES Motor Mount vs. Z-Eng Mount - Opinions?

659 views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  tdot-zx3 
#1 ·
I will be purchasing a poly mount sometime very soon and need some point of views.

Who has had both the Z-Eng and ES or Prothane motor mount? Can you give a decent comparison between the 2(Z-eng and ES/Prothane).

I think the biggest thing I want to know is, does the full mount make a bigger impact than the bushing itself, if it does have even a minimal affect - I will definately be going with FS' prven products.

But all the same, I want to see some opinions on it, from people who are able to compare them.

Let me hear it

- Drew

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't really compare, but I'll throw out an opinion.

The idea of being able to more easily swap motor mounts with the Z-engineering unit is a great strength. If you become annoyed by the increased vibrations, you can swap in the stock unit for street use and reinstall the Z-engineering unit when you hit the auto-x/drag strip. Just a thought.

#5 ·
I have the ES poly bushings in my ZX3 and i love them. Makes the car feel more responsive. The Z-eng. mount looks good but for the price I'd get the bushings.

They are quite easy to install. I used a large socket and a vise to press the old ones out and popped the new ones in.

As far as swapping mounts for daily driving you could always pick a stock mount up from someone who bought a Z- mount. But the vibes aren't all that bad.

#8 ·
Originally posted by focusownerskid:
Thanks fellas!

Yes, just read CTZX3's comparo - Very good.

I think with my limited budget, I wll be going for the ES Mounts.

- Drew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">DREW!!! Holdonaminnit!!!
First. There should be ZERO Difference between the full mount replacement and the bushings only.
The reason I say "Hold On", is that I've noticed One Peculiar thing in the threads on this topic.
I don't know the implications, but I've never read a thread where someone w/ the Prothane bushings complained of vibration. Every post that has has been from someone w/ the ES bushings.
I don't know if they use a different stiffness of Poly-U, or if it's only because more people have purchased the ES pieces....
Just an Observation.
I have the Prothane, and I LOVE them.

#9 ·
Thanks fellas!

Yes, just read CTZX3's comparo - Very good.

I think with my limited budget, I wll be going for the ES Mounts.

- Drew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">good choice drew.

#10 ·
Mike,

Mostly because I would rather order from Tony D - And he doesn't have Prothane Mounts on his site. I looked and looked and didn't see them. Where did you get yours?

Chris,

Good review

- Drew

#11 ·
Mike,

Mostly because I would rather order from Tony D - And he doesn't have Prothane Mounts on his site. I looked and looked and didn't see them. Where did you get yours?

Chris,

Good review

- Drew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">look in the ENGINE section, I think they are there. Good luck

#12 ·
Well there they are!

They are in the Engine section, I didn't bother to look there as the ES mounts were in teh Susp. section and didn't think they would be abywhere else.

Thanks guys!

- Drew

#13 ·
Well, Mikey, let me be the first to complain, I am SO FRIGGIN TIRED OF THE VIBRATION

but I have an auto....so it only makes it worse, the stock auto still shaked....cuz its like having it in friggin gear.....but, yeah, go for it Drew, you've got a stick, and its a very noticable mod

#14 ·
I got them from Tony D via phone.
They hadn't been updated to his site when I ordered, but he deals w/ all of their kits.

#16 ·
Originally posted by JP:
I have heard of the poly bushing creeping out after it's been pressed in. Any feedback? Maybe some sort of glue is in order.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Never heard that. And if that was the case, where would it go? It's sandwidched between two pieces of metal with a bolt down the center.

#17 ·
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
I don't know the implications, but I've never read a thread where someone w/ the Prothane bushings complained of vibration. Every post that has has been from someone w/ the ES bushings.
I don't know if they use a different stiffness of Poly-U, or if it's only because more people have purchased the ES pieces....
Just an Observation.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">http://www.focaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=006992#000000

http://www.focaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=007269#000000

I have the ES bushings and the only time it vibrates is with the A/C on.

[ 02-24-2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: BLOWNSTANG ]

#18 ·
Well, Mikey, let me be the first to complain, I am SO FRIGGIN TIRED OF THE VIBRATION

but I have an auto....so it only makes it worse, the stock auto still shaked....cuz its like having it in friggin gear.....but, yeah, go for it Drew, you've got a stick, and its a very noticable mod
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Get a throttle body or port yours, might make a difference with an automatic. I have the bushings from Sean Hyland Motorsport, and they haven't slipped out of the link like my prothane ones did. I DID blast the link out the second time though, and I used a press, as opposed to a dead-blow hammer.

#20 ·
Randy,

You know I would sport anything FS carries given the cash.

And down the road I plan on buying all 3 mounts from you guys. But for now the Prothane bushing will get the job done and get the feel I want for a lot less cash.

Just so everyone remembers - FocusSport Rocks!

- Drew

#22 ·
Randy I have your mount, and I have no complaints. One thing I noticed is that people here forget that the reason the price is different is because with the VF you don't just get bushings, you get a whole new piece. Which to me looks better and sits better in the opening.

#23 ·
Originally posted by SE SPORTNY:
Randy I have your mount, and I have no complaints. One thing I noticed is that people here forget that the reason the price is different is because with the VF you don't just get bushings, you get a whole new piece. Which to me looks better and sits better in the opening.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The "Whole new Piece" is GREAT for "Plug'n'Play", but for the Price difference, I don't mind washing off that Sticky Bearing-Grease.

No disrespect to the product. I'm sure it works great for those who can afford it, but for the $20 I spent, I'm quite pleased.

#24 ·
And down the road I plan on buying all 3 mounts from you guys. But for now the Prothane bushing will get the job done and get the feel I want for a lot less cash.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ok not to .. sound mean or anything ..

But you oviously cant be driving that car that hard that you need one asap that you cant save up for the ones your going to buy anyways..

Im soo not following here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.