Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie post. Hope I have the right forum!

I've imported a Fidanza flywheel from the US (I'm in South Africa) with the intention of retaining the orginal clutch and now I find the OE clutch is simply too big to fit! Either Ford changed the clutch after 2003 or I have a freak combination, or I ordered the wrong flywheel (Fidanza part no. 186031; it was the only 6-speed Getrag SVT option).

Can anyone shed any light on whether pre-2004 models had a smaller clutch maybe? And / or does anyone have the actual size of the clutch (friction) plate required?

For what it's worth, the Ford OE part has a friction surface of 239mm (9.4") outside diameter and 171mm (6.7")inside diameter.

The steel surface of the flywheel (Fidanza part no. 186031)is 228mm (9.0") OD and 147mm (5.8") ID.

Any pearls of wisdom are most welcome 'cos as I stand the whole project is FUBAR!!

Cheers!
Bryn

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
I'm guessing you got the wrong flywheel. Can you snap a pic of the flywheel? So we can see which one you have. Or call FocusSport, they should be able to tell you the correct dimensions. I have a FocusSport flywheel and ran it with my stock clutch for some time. The FS flywheel is exactly the same as the fidanza and I had no fitment issues (I did have clattering). Sorry things are going downhill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a pic of the exact FW: http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=136 This is the only one I found anywhere on the web about a Focus SVT so I got one without thinking any further. It's easy to see that the friction surface looks just like any other flywheel I've fiddled with over the years, i.e. a wide surface area of smallish diameter. The Ford clutch plate looks like a modern Superbike front brake disk, narrow and packed out near the edge if you get my drift..

Then today after a Google search I saw an alternative for a Focus SVT with a 7.5" something (that dimension doesn't fit any of my variables) but no useful details further to that comment. That Fidanza part number is 186037 and can be seen here (not the right pic though, just a generic one) http://www.coximport.com/auto-parts/prods/FD-186037.html

I can only imagine that Ford either used a different clutch on my spec car / year model, or there was a quiet upgrade that happened across the board.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Rat... that sucks, that totally looks like the right flywheel. The ST170 and the SVT must have the same clutch right?? That's just wierd. Why not give FocusSport a call and have them see what the dimensions of their flywheel is compared to the one you have. See if it is the same. Again, just bum luck!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Could it be possible you got the updated clutch disc that is used in the Technical Service Bulletin? I do not know the actuall dimentions but I do know that the updated flywheel is not compatable with the origional clutch disc and cover, and I would guess the updated disc and cover would then not be correct for the old flywheel (the aluminum flywheels from FS and Fidanza accept the origional factory clutch because I also used the origional clutch with my FS flywheel for a time)

·
Registered
23 Posts
you definitely need the upgraded clutch assy as is larger diameter. went thru this on my car also.

·
Registered
268 Posts
yeah the clutch that was on my 02 from the factory was 228, and it was replaced with the 239 so i am assuming the 239 is original equiptment on your 03

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Trust Byron... I dont know how he knows all this stuff, but he's got tons of knowledge about these cars!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
My suggestion would be to dump the factory clutch and put in an aftermarket clutch while you're swapping your flywheel. I've had minor issues (throwout bearing, lack of dampeners) with using the factory SVT clutch with the Fidanza flywheel and never had these issues when using a Clutchmaster disc. If you're going to do the transmission once, do it right the first time, and don't bother ordering the old factory clutch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm getting close to the truth now.

1) The 239mm clutch is the latest, and only one available in my market. Seems this did replace the 228mm job.
2) This means I have the wrong flywheel if I want to use the OE clutch.
3) I could do one of 2 things: Order the right flywheel, but I don't even know if there is one available!! (any offers on what the 186037 part is??).
4) OR, import a 228mm clutch to fit my flywheel. It would be cheaper to import the right flywheel though if I can find one. Then I'll have a spare FW to hang in my pub too!

Anyone planning to visit South Africa, I have a brand new FW going cheap..!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would recomend not using the factory clutch disc, it is a solid center design (the damping is in the dual mass flywheel) and with the aluminum flywheel you will get a lot of gear noise while you are driving and sitting at idle in neutral. I am using a Clutch Masters stage 3 disc and pressure plate that has a sprung center and that has cut the noise in half (there is still noise esp at idle but on the road it is not bad at all)

I have not done any checking with Fidenza, Clutch masters, Spec clutches or Focus Sport to see if they have made any changes in their products to accomadate the cars with the updated factory clutch set up. It might be worth a few emails to them just to see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Byron, good point about the non-sprung OE clutch plate. That struck me yesterday as well while looking at the Ford part too. I MIGHT get lucky with a weird combo (with sprung plate) though; will let you know.

Re the gear noise I'm curious to know how noisey we are talking here. I mean, most cars don't have dual mass FW's, therefore are they already "noisey" but as we have no reference we therefore don't notice it / comment on the noise..??

Conversely, fitting a DM FW to a car previously fitted with a single mass FW, will it get QUIETER?? (hypothetical situation).

Or, will dumping the DM FW simply make more noise than any other car / gearbox and that's life so live with it there's no easy explanation..?

Cheers,
Bryn

·
Registered
239 Posts
The real noise difference between the stock DM flywheel and clutch set up vers the Aluminum single mass unit and a spring center disc is at idle. And the main reason is the reduction of rotational mass and as such a slightly rougher idle. What you hear is the backlash between all the gears in the transaxle chattering back and forth on each other as the engine SPEEDS UP (piston being pushed down by combustion) and SLOWS DOWN (piston being held back as it comes up on the compression stroke)

With the new lighter weight oils the manufacturers are using (for fuel mileage as much as anyting) and all of the moving parts in a 6 speed transaxle there it will sound like a bunch of loose ball bearings rolling around inside the transaxle at idle with the clutch out.

I see a daily driving advantage to the lighter flywheel with quicker throttle response, and the fact that the stock DM units have a history of blowing up and taking the transaxle with it!!!! I highly recomend the change and the noise is really not that bad!! I have 33,000 miles on my Aluminum flywheel and I often pull out the dual mass stock flywheel to show to people when I want a good laugh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts