Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A great day of racing out in the desert of Willow Springs, as the 2008 Focus Challenge Championship concluded with the fourth round. Everything went perfect as the temperatures were just right, the winds were mostly calm, and the track was clear!

After a few close practice sessions this morning, everything was set and our field of 8 was set with Clint Boisdeau leading the way. Todd Parker and Ryan Lapp in his Spec Focus and Brad Allen were set to run in the first session. Rookies Jason Dovel and Robert Netzel, championship director Todd Wilson, and one of the original competetors, Alan Bowers, filled up the second session.

At the start, Ryan Lapp had boiled over his radiator and was relegated to the second session to get time to bring his temperatures down. Clint set a blistering lap time of 1:27.418 in the first session, setting a new record for the track, in front of Todd Parker's 1:31.284 and Brad Allen's 1:36.313. Once the second session got underway, Ryan was good to go and lead out the group with a fast lap of 1:32.438. Leading rookie, Dovel earned himself a 1:36.452 in his ZX4 ST while Bowers, returning to competition after an absense of several years while across the world with the US Air Force, set a lap of 1:35.815. Rounding out the session was Wilson, piloting Brad Allen's car with a 1.39.650 and first time Netzel with a 1:45.048.

After the handicaps were calculated in, thanks to the right selection of mods and choosing just the right tires with 300 treadware, Brad Allen earned the top spot on the podium for the day with an adjusted time of 1:26.063 after his handicap of 10.25 was applied. Ryan Lapp, having a recently rebuilt engine earned second with an adjusted 1:26.438 and Clint Boisdeau was third with 1:27.158..

Clint, the series leader going into today was able to secure the season's overall championship with his podium finish earing a total of 5 championship points. Clint's season total was brought to 22 after earning 3 for the third place finish, as well as a point for fast lap of the day , and track records. Jeff Glancy was bumped to second place after relocation to Tennessee earlier in the year left him unable to compete in the final round. Jason Dovel, through persistance and consistancy earned enough points to capture the third position in the overall championship. Jason also earned the Rookie of the Year title for his stellar performance. Earning bonus points this round were Alan Bowers, for his long drive to be part of the event from Clovis, New Mexico, and Brad Allen, for allowing Todd Wilson to participate through selfless donation of his car.

Congratulations to all the participants in this year's Focus Challenge, most especially to Clint and Jason for their astounding feats this year. Next year's challenge will expand and offer more events nationwide to allow more competition from throughout the country! We look forward to seeing everyone back next year!!!!

Today's Results:

Championship Final Results:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Re: Congratulations to Clint Boisdeau - 2008 Focus Challenge Champion and Brad Allen Too!

yeah great job Todd!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Re: Congratulations to Clint Boisdeau - 2008 Focus Challenge Champion and Brad Allen Too!

Congrats to everyone! Great times!

Next year TN will be on the schedule right?

·
Registered
11,368 Posts

Thanks guys! That was a fantastic day. I had a blast. My only goal was to bring the car home in one piece (and to beat Todd Wilson ;)) and I did it :D

Oh, and Todd, I attended FOTB. Does that mean I finished 4th overall in points :lol:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts

Damn, just got home!

anyways, ill keep short for now. Great fun and thanks Todd!

·
Registered
449 Posts

Thanks Todd for letting my girlfriend ride along on the track.

I was going to ask Clint if my girl could ride along but she was to scared to do so. So she decided to ride with someone slower, me :lol:

I want to thank the Redline staff for very well organized event. I brought a buddy of mine the one who owns the trailer to race for the day and he was very impressed with the way things ran. And now he can't wait to come to the next one. If only we could get him to trade in his Mini for a Focus. :evilgrin:

It was nice meeting new fellow Focus people. Hope to see you guy's in the near future.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts

Had a blast, great fun, can't wait till next season. Brad I think we are tied for 4th in the Championship. I got a 131.2 my only goal for the day. I am so stoked!!!! I have to thank Brendan for loaning my his r-comps, they work great, thanks Brendan.
Way to go Todd can't wait for next years schedule. Thanks to Nick and all of the Redline crew for putting on a great event.

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts

Great work fellas!
Congrats to Brad and Clint:bow:

·
Registered
11,368 Posts

Yes, thanks Jeff :thumbup:

Clint is very fast.

·
Registered
566 Posts

what thats it??! no more? oh sure get the guy hooked and leave him hanging. :mad:

seriously guys... that was an incredible day!! i have played hockey my whole life and have done my fair share of fun/crazy things but yesterday defiantly tops them all. like most people say.. i have been waiting to do that for way too long.

i want to thank all of you for being so helpful and welcoming. being a noob on the first day can be a bit stressful but you all made it allot easier. i do have to say you guys do know how to drive, clint with your 1:27 and so on. i know i have allot to learn to get to that even with my handicap but overall i think i did ok. i didnt want to get to aggressive on the first day. looking forward to the next time out. :banana:

·
Registered
566 Posts

oh and can i get my car number now? i have always used #3 and i havent seen it taken yet.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts

Sounds like a good time was had by everyone! :thumbup:

Congratulations to Clint! :party:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

Great job to everyone who participated and a special kudos to tparker...I know how hard you've worked to get your times down, and every single event they get lower and lower. Soon enough you'll challenge the big boys on raw time!

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

He was very excited to get that 1:31. He knew that the car had it in it... (thanks to you Josh and Clint driving it) so he had something to push for to get down there.

He's clearly one of the guys that can be dangerous with more experience.

For Reference, Parker ran a 1:37 at this track in February, and 1:33 in April... proving once again the addage that there's no substitute for seat time.

·
Registered
11,368 Posts

For sure. He told me at the beginning of the day he wanted to run a 1:31.xxx. Each session he and I would head to the garage to check the times. We watched both of our times drop each session. After session 3 he was down to a 1:32.1xx and knew he could cut that extra 2 tenths or so. We both set our fastest laps the next time out with no traffic in the FC!!! I might have to show up with some rcomps next year. I'm interested what my car will do :D

·
I AM THE MOFREAKINGMAN!
6,762 Posts

i was able to run my fastest time of the day in my 3rd hot lap of the challenge session, but i was un able to beat my personal best time:( o well, next time

·
Registered
2,857 Posts

Yeah, i definitely need some more seat time but i cannot complain about my time after such a hiatus from the track.

I do plan on attending lots of future events (especially the FC) so hopefully some practice will get my times into the competitive range.

·
Registered
11,368 Posts

Alan, your time was competitive. Your handicap, not so much :lol:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts