Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an e-mail from Ken:

We are pleased to announce Cosworth has received Executive Order D-594 from CARB permitting advertisment, sales and installation of our Cold Air Intake for the PZEV Focus. This order currently covers only model year 2004 but we expect the 2003 and 2005 model years to be covered by in the near future. The Cosworth Cold Air Intake is the only Cold Air Intake currently available for the Focus PZEV model that has been issued an Executive Order from CARB

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
yay, there is hope afterall.

ken, get to work on getting the # for the manifold too. :)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Wow... that's sweet!

But I wonder - does the CARB E.O. require you to run the stock air filter?

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Wow... that's sweet!

But I wonder - does the CARB E.O. require you to run the stock air filter?
How could you ever run the Cosworth CAI and the stock air filter?

The carb EO is for this:

...not this (yet...) :

Sweet Ken - that is GREAT NEWS!!!

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
422 Posts
yeah! $350 !!! i guess ill wait for the fix-it ticket until i will go out and buy the cosworth intake

·
Registered
216 Posts
The carb EO is for this:

...not this (yet...) :

Sweet Ken - that is GREAT NEWS!!!

>8^)
ER
Ugh, I was hoping it was for the whole deal. Stupid NY.
Maybe I'll get a new job and can relo somewhere without emissions testing.
Great news tho.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Wow that's great news for those with CARB!

Weird that they only approved 2004 MY, but I'm sure it shouldn't be an issue getting the other 2 years on board now.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
wtf?

2003 = 2004
same engine same everything

id be pissed if i still had my 03 .. but then again id rather run an illegal intake than a $350 one

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
...but we expect the 2003 and 2005 model years to be covered by in the near future.
Where's the problem? So CARB = dumb - big deal, we knew that...
I have a 2003 and I'm stoked!!

And like you said Kyle, it's not like you'd ever spend the money for one, so why should we care what you think?

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Its good to hear that you can get CARB EO number, now Cosworth needs to come up with a good tune for the Pzev and 2.0L cars with various parts. It seems that nobody is working with these cars even though they are the MAJORITY of all cars sold now....
-bix

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
SO... If we already have one, do we have to request a sticker from cosworth for this or???
You will probably need to contact the distributor that you purchased the intake through.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
193 Posts
Congratulations Cosworth!!!

That will be a plus when people decide which intake to buy.

On the other side it drives me nuts that you need CARB # for some tube+filter that attaches to a throttle body. I really hate the lack of common sense. Of course this means that all other intakes are just as "good for environment" as Cosworth, they just don't have that stupid number (which probably took some serious attorney to get).

CARB # for manifold makes more sense.

Anyways, I am glad someone is getting CARB #s for this PZEV engine.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Of course this means that all other intakes are just as "good for environment" as Cosworth, they just don't have that stupid number (which probably took some serious attorney to get).
Actually, this was mentioned before and the others aren't "just as good" in CARB's eyes. The Cosworth CAI uses special collars between the tubes made of a material that won't break down over time. I forget the name exactly, but Ken told me it was one of the things they had to do in order to ensure they'd be able to meet CARB's requirements.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
956 Posts
I just can't wait for the '05's to be available. I am not sure if I have mentioned that I hate NYS, but it will be worth it to pay the extra money for the intake to pass inspection.

Congrats and keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just can't wait for the '05's to be available. I am not sure if I have mentioned that I hate NYS, but it will be worth it to pay the extra money for the intake to pass inspection.

Congrats and keep 'em coming!
Exactly.

·
Registered
370 Posts
CARB really needs to get their act together -

1# They take WAY TOO LONG to approve parts and most of it is RED TAPE.

2# They should make an effort to blanket cover parts for cars. There are MINOR differnces between the '03 and '05 model years and not enough to effect emissons I don't care what they say.

3# Reduce the cost of testing! - CARB testing cost so much that only larger companies or companies trying to sell a "sure fire hot seller" product can afford to mortage the company in order to get that ONE part to market smog legal.

That is not fair for market competition, which gives us more choice and forced reduction in prices which give the comsumer more buying power.

The solution is NOT moving to another state or area because sooner than later they will have laws just like we do here.

Having good emissions is important but often times people making the laws and enforcing them are not "car people". Which means alot of common sense things get left out.

Props to Cosworth for going through the drill of getting this pass. Maybe K&N will finally submit there kit, but I don't think they intend too...

·
Registered
293 Posts
CARB really needs to get their act together -
As far as I know they have no real accountability for their actions. Only watchdog groups like SEMA seem to have any large effect on government agency action (or inaction).

I do agree with your points though.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
The solution is NOT moving to another state or area because sooner than later they will have laws just like we do here.
Pfft. Yeah, right.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts