Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got an Idea. A Stret Legal Long tube header. It may have already been done but oh well.

Take This Flexpipe:

And this CAT:

And do this:

C:\Documents and Settings\George\My Documents\My Pictures

Then Just Weld it on.

Do you think it would work? I'm just not sure if the spacing would work out. The cat it 12 inches long. So if one of the sides it cut off, lets say 2 inches it would fit? It would be easier to cut of the flex joint and put it there but then no flex joint
You think it would pass emmisions because it is kinda far from the pipes?

I like the idea of street legal long tube headers

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Crap! The Middle picture wont work, could i mail it to somebody and they could post it? IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
yes. It is legal as long as you have the 02 sensors wired up. In your state you may have to pass a smog test or something so you may be able to get some guarentee from the manufacturer of the cat that it will pass.

AND technically it has been done....By many on here and SVT. The svt focus has a setup you may just be able to buy the whole thing at the dealer. cost less than the aftermarket.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Do you have to get emmissions testing done on your vehicle? The cat might be too small and too far away from the engine to work effectively but might still pass depending on what levels they consider acceptable.

·
Registered
729 Posts
i seen it done on sport compact cars svt focus,,,,im prolly gunna do the same thing,,,,but its been done. scc said they got like another 6 hp or so goin to the long tube header with the cat welded in to the flex pipe.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Focusedone: Thanks for the pm!
Im going to take a flexpipe to a local fabricating shop and get it done, but I think Im going to buy this cat, do you think it would pass? Its not a high flow, but flows 25% more than stock. Its a Dynomax Super Converter from Jegs. Its only 60$.

More info about it:
The engineers at Dynomax got these units to flow much better than a stock catalytic converter by doing several trick things. First they increased the flow area over OE converters by 26%, then they made absolutely sure that it flowed extremely free, then wrapped it in a stainless steel single tube mono shell. The large body design is great for up to 455'' engines. The single tube design eliminates all the welds common with OE designs and assures leak-proof operation for greater efficiency. All this means Dynomax converters outflow OE by one third!

·
Registered
32 Posts
if i get what your sayin your gonna take out the flex joint? wont that cause problems? especially if you dont have new enginge mounts (more flex).

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nope, Im saying mount the cat in the flex's spot, and move the flex down further.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts