Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after checking out the local AutoX sessions this weekend, I decided its something I'd like to venture into. I can't seem to get the SCCA rulebook online, so I guess I've got to ask this way.

From what I've read, Showroom Stock would be easiest to get into for a beginner, correct? The next class up is STS? I can't do anything to my car for Stock class except for tires (as long as they are OEM size) and wheels (as long as they aren't over .25" offset), and a cat back exhaust. Thats pretty much it right? I asked about putting SVT suspension on and believe that was a negative also. So I've got to remain on stock suspension components. But what about adjustable dampers? I think I read something that you could use them as long as they don't have more than two adjustments on them. What is considered an adjustment? Very newb question, but I've got KYB AGXs that have like 8 positions in the rear and 4 up front. Would these be against the rules, or is stiffening considered one adjustment? Thanks for all the help guys. I figure I'll head to the next event and ask the guys at the registration booth some more questions.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
While Stock (showroom stock is a road racing class
) is easiest to get a car for, it's not neccessarily the easiest. Every serious competitor in H-Stock will be running r-compound tires. Because of this, STS (in St. Louis at least) tends to run a split second slower than HS, even though they are allowed more power and suspension mods. Of course, if your car fits into HS already, you might as well go for it.

Dampers are unlimited in stock class. Konis are widely used, and they have "infinite" adjustability, so it's not a matter of how many settings they have. Your KYB AGXs will be fine.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
If you want to run HS, you will have to ditch everything in your profile except for the KYBs (assuming your FS exhaust removes the cat. If it doesn't, it can stay). You can't run the SVT suspension as well, since it never was availible from the factory like that. When they mean 2 adjustments, they mean two separate adjustments, as in bound and rebound. Shocks that adjust both with one adjuster is okay.

Right now, you car fits just fine for STS assuming you have both cats. Technically, if you remove the second one with the exhaust, you'll be in STX.

·
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My exhaust has been modified to retain the second cat. Also, the CAI can be easily R&R'd on race days so I can put my stock intake back on. So the only issue at that point in time would be my springs, which I still have the stockers and could swap them back on.

So from what I think I've heard, the Focus performs best in Stock class? Or would I just be better off for the time being giving it a shot (since I won't be winning anything on my first day anyway) on my car as it sits (with new wheels/tires). I'm 99% positive that I'll like it enough to continue doing it, and for the time being don't xpect to win anything, but would in the future. I figure to change configurations all the time would actually be detrimental since you would get better driving with a certain setup over time?

In STS, I'd be good to go if Egz is correct. What limitations are there in that class? Tires, wheels, brakes, cams, ECU? Those are really the only further mdifications to my car that I want to perform.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
A Focus performs well in Stock, but it will take an excellent driver to beat the Minis that rule HS. Likewise, I doubt a Focus will ever beat an STS Civic.

STS: High grip street tires (over 200 treadwear), any wheels, brake pads/rotors allowed, but no BBK, camshafts not allowed, ECU reflash is unlimited.

·
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. There's gotta be some guys that are kicking but with Focusseesses though, right? What class are they typically in?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I can't seem to get the SCCA rulebook online, so I guess I've got to ask this way.

Try looking at the sticky at the top of this Forum.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
A Focus performs well in Stock, but it will take an excellent driver to beat the Minis that rule HS. Likewise, I doubt a Focus will ever beat an STS Civic.

STS: High grip street tires (over 200 treadwear), any wheels, brake pads/rotors allowed, but no BBK, camshafts not allowed, ECU reflash is unlimited.
...that are 7.5" wide or less

Rotors must be stock size, but cross drilling and/or slotting is ok (but not such a good idea).

Camber adjusters are a BIG plus in STS as well...

A nice generic STS recipe (which will get you in the thick of the best non SpecCivis):

Good wheel/tire combo.
Konis (or other adjustable damper)
H&R race springs (Intrax/SVT Steeda/Apex also work well)
Larger rear bar (22-24mm)
Front camber adjusters
CAI
UDP
Catback
Good brake pads
Chip

and, most importantly, SEAT TIME!!!

·
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't seem to get the SCCA rulebook online, so I guess I've got to ask this way.

Try looking at the sticky at the top of this Forum.

I did, and posted there before I posted here. It won't load for me. Don't know if its my computer or what. The link in the sticky doesn't work and the direct link on the SCCAs website doesn't work either.

Seat time will be a definite bonus for me. How does one go about getting a license, if one is needed? I figure it'd be better for me to get a membership period since the cost per race will be cheaper. Most of the stuff in the list above is kinda done already, some of it can't be done because of my engine. Guess I gotta pick up a helmet also. I heard that they have loaners at the events, but how is the quality of those (am I gonna get someone elses head junk?)

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Interesting. There's gotta be some guys that are kicking but with Focusseesses though, right? What class are they typically in?
Well, our dear friend carlfreddy runs in H-Stock. I've seen his car totally annihilate some Minis. But, it was being driven by an awesome autocross driver.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
there are, the non-SVT class progression goes:

H Stock, STS, STX (in certain cases), F Street Prepared, Streed Modified, E Prepared, D Modified

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
You don't need a "license" per-se. But if you become a member of SCCA, or whatever club does local events for you, there should be a reduction in entry fees...enough to pay for the membership and then some.

A good motorcycle helmet is adequate--get a Snell M-05 rated one. If you really want, look for a "racecar" helmet with a Snell SA-05 rating--then if you graduate to open track days you'll be covered.

·
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking a Snell SA-2000 at least. Do they even have 05s out now? Anyway, that way I can get to the (dare I say it) drags once in a while as well.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I was thinking a Snell SA-2000 at least. Do they even have 05s out now? Anyway, that way I can get to the (dare I say it) drags once in a while as well.
Mybad--did a little checking; SA-05 out in 10/05...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Case in point, ZX3Colorado drove his well prepped STS Focus all last season, did well but never in the TOP trophies. So this season he is running a fully prepped 4th gen civic in STS and kicking butt!

We have tons of awesome drivers here in the colorado region with big turnouts at every event. 200+ entries. Yesterday we had few Foci. Two actually. One in STS driven by a very good driver/with a very good autocross setup. 65.791, over 3 secs back of the fastest STS civic who is a National calibur driver/car.

I finished with a 63.102 in Street Mod, just under 2.5 secs behind a 95 M3 driven by nationally competitive drivers also. I'm driving a supercharged ZX3. click here to go to my post with video.

Couple years ago two guys did very well locally here in their SVT's in GStock. We don't have anyone running HS foci.
And I've already mentioned STS and SM. My brother spent last season in FSP and didn't do too bad but FSP is a very very fast class.

Hope something out of all that helps.
Van

·
Registered
885 Posts
much of what advice is given is based on local experience.
Here in central Ohio, the Ohio Valley Region OVR of SCCA has about 175 at Solo II's
The Focus has been the H stock champ for the last two years, based on the competition. Before that an old ford/mercury capri was over the Focus, but it was very close. Very driver based.
Now in G/S, it is crazy. There are four previous season champs killing me. Last season champ was in a euro SVT, then there is the Neon past champ. Then a Saturn who is past champ in other classes, even a "big block" Subi 2.4 is in there going really fast.
Last week, 175 competitors, Performance Index PAX saw G/S in 6,7,8, 12,15,18place. Of course Danny Popp ASP multiple national champion was 4th PAX after two carts, and an EP car
Interesting note, NO male drivers in Mini's in all this.

The one Mini S that came in last year from Detroit turned a fast time early, then got busted to 4th on the last run by all those mentioned above. It was beautiful. "don't come back unless you want spanked" was the message.

Oh, did I mention I'm getting spanked by all of them too.

Here is my advice.
If you want to mod your car, then run STS.
Stock class is the economical way to go, EXCEPT you must buy wheels and tires to be competitive.

Read the rules first!!!! then add the changes.
good luck

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yeah, at Clemson with the autocrosses that the sports car club runs, we use NASA rules (which are easier to understand and more straightforward) but I raced in STS this weekend with the SCCA. Did okay, was in 5th and lost by exactly one second to the winning Civic SI. Only got beat by one Focus though. And it was nice seeing some other Foci out on the asphalt.

For a start, just race stock and realize that without wheels and tires, you'll be at least one to two seconds off the class leaders, but it's important to get out and race without having to worry about the man shutting you down.

·
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmmmm.....was just looking through the results of the local autox championships. Looks like the top driver/car in HS is a Honda Insight. And you were all right. Civic Si reigns in STS. Very interesting indeed. Well, Z63R and I will be headed out first week in August to play and see if we decide to continue. Of course I'll still be on stock tires, so it could be outright disastrous, but its only a practice session, so I won't (shouldn't) make too much of a fool of myself. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 31 Posts