Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the stage 2 crane cams, Supertech springs/retainers, and tuning since Sunday and thought now was a good time to comment.

First, the car feels completely different now. I use to drive WOT to 3k and shift. Now I regularly run to 7k without fear of anything going wrong or undue wear being put on the car. It just feels like it is meant to be driven that way now. Before I felt like I was hurting the car going over 5k but now it just feels smooth, fast and natural. God, I could sit in the car all day and relax to the lop, lop, lop of the idle. I dread how much my first speeding ticket will be for because by the time I have intoxicatingly run to the 7100 redline in second gear I am already doing 70.

Second, Walter Marcy did an excellent job installing everything and answering all of my stupid questions. He is a pleasure to deal with and is always willing to share his knowledge with people that didn’t grow up with a wrench in their hand such as myself.

I can’t wait to add a race header and exhaust…

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
How does the car feel between 2k & 4k compared to the stock cams? More torque? Less? How noticable?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car feels the same to 2500, then I feel more torque from 2500 all the way up the tach. The gain is very noticable. My cams are set at -6 exhaust and +2 intake (I think). My biggest concern was not losing any low-end torque; that is my favorite thing about this engine! Walter didn't steer me wrong, this baby pulls!

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
I agree, nice analysis!! Now lets see a dyno!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I had done a before and after dyno but I didn't. Since money is tight I am going to wait until after I get my MM header and exhaust in early September before I spend money on a dyno run. That should be pretty close to my completed car.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Someone already posted a dyno of a stock d2.3, and since the production tolerances of these engines are so tight, there shouldn't be much variance from one engine to another. So that could be used as a decent baseline.

You should look around to see if you can find a place holding a dyno-day for cheap. I saw a place a couple hours drive from me that was doing dyno-days where 3 pulls were like, $30- which from what I understand is a great deal.

I'd love to see a dyno of your car in it's current form. Best of luck with it though, you're off to a great start.

·
Registered
50 Posts
did you get the cam adjustment tool as well? and what was your total cost cause im thinking about doing this exact same thing as you thx

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not get the cam adjustment tool. I drove to Walter's shop in CA and he installed everything for me so the tool was unnecessary. I don't remember exactly how much everything was but I think it was about $1050 installed. Mind you, this was during the group buy that has ended, so the price is a little more. Definitely worth it, and as I add a header and exhaust the gains will only keep increasing. Get in on the MM header group buy now if you can; that's my next purchase and the price is excellent.
Read--For A Limited Time Only

1 - 9 of 9 Posts