Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I took my tails/corners off (still working on bumpers but ill get to that later) I went ahead and sprayed a coat on the corners, and was cleaning the tails trying to get all the crap off so the niteshade sticks. While I was letting them dry off (just used soap/water) I was cleaning off my brake calipers with brake cleaner, and some misted onto the tails. I tried wiping it off, but it just left this nasty smudged/foggy residue on the tails that I cant seem to get off!

I have tried dish soap and car wash solution, but am afraid to try anything else as I dont want my entire taillight fogged like this.

What will cut through this crap so the lens is shiny again? I am not going to spray the niteshade on top of this or it will for sure look crappy.

any help is appreciated asap!

Here is a picture (not the greatest...sorry) to show the filmy residue stuff.

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
Re: Crap...anyone know how to get rid of this film/residue on ta

try some simple green cleaner. brake cleaner has chemicals in it that may warp or eat the plastic, and that slight mist might have just barely started in on the plastic and thats where the white look comes from, warped plastic. But try some simple green.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I ended up trying some plastic polish and it worked out decently well (cleaned up 80% of it anyway) and since I am niteshading them I dont think it will matter too much.

I got them sprayed now, and am just letting the first coat of clear cure, so hopefully I will know soon how it looks.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Brake cleaner eats into plastic, so does NiteShades, so you could have left them as be. But just FYI, some 2000 grit wetsanded would have taken care of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I was told to put The Blue Magic Wheel Cleaner on the lights. Let it dry, and then wipe it off. When you wipe it off, the residue is supposed to come with it, leaving it with a nice clear shine. Haha. I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

If it was residue it would come off. Its brake cleaner, it has eaten into the plastic, it cant be wiped off with wheel cleaner, it needs to be sanded/polished off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts