Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the thread size for the axle nut?

So I somehow chewed up the end threads on the right axle during disassebly. If I can find the right size die I would rather try recutting the threads than pulling the entire axle out. Worst case I'll pick up another axle at Napa and swap it out, but I'd rather try to fix the threads before going through the hassle of swapping out the entire axle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
362 Posts
how bad did u screw it up? what did u bang on it with a hammer or something?? anyways if u can start the end just a bit hit it with the air gun it should go on unless u mesed it up really bad

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
use a die grander and grind the first 3 or 4 threads on the end to a point. use a thread file to clean up the new entry point, should be good to go. this method has saved my ass more than once. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how bad did u screw it up? what did u bang on it with a hammer or something?? anyways if u can start the end just a bit hit it with the air gun it should go on unless u mesed it up really bad
Oh it's pretty FUBAR. The axle was pretty well stuck in the hub, so a hammer was my first weapon. I think that's where the damage came from.

I finally used an axle puller and impact wrench to force it free, and it did a number on the end of the axle.

I've tried using the impact wrench to crank it back on but it's now stuck, so I'm thinking I'm just going to bite the bullet buy a $50 axle from Napa and spend the hour or two putting it in. Ugh, oh well. I haven't screwed up like this in a long time, so I was due!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Followup - I ended up replacing the entire axle, it took less than 2 hours and only cost about $50. Much easier than messing around cutting new threads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts