Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had the rotors that E-Bay sells, or if any companys other that those seen sell OEM size Cross drilled and Slotted rotors, If anyone has any info on these please let me know how good the quality is, and also if the fitment was good.

Like These Here
Rotors
Or These
More Rotors
Or Even These
Yet More Rotors
Are they really a good buy or just some cheap Ebay stuff?
Any Feedback Is Appreciated

THANKS
LAZ

·
Registered
326 Posts
I know my bro is looking at the ebay rotors for his GTP. The guys he talks to online at a Grand Prix forum say the ebay rotors are good. 2 different vehicles, but you wanted some feedback.

I'd be worried about buying something like rotors off ebay for my SVT because of the different sizes versus the non-SVT. I'm tempted to get them myself because I HATE how they get rusty on the edges and hub. The slots and holes would look cool! Paint the caliper and it would look like you put a big brake kit on!

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
I would be leary of getting crossed drilled brake rotors because they tend to cause heat cracks around them.Slotted rotors would be fine since they help remove the gases that develop between the brake pads and rotors.Just my .02 cents of course.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I may just try a set of those rotors. Mine are warped to hell again, and I need new ones soon. Whats the worst that could happen, they crack off the hub and I lose my brakes, That would be a blessing if there is a tree in the way.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Don't have specific info for you on the "ebay" ones you refer to (Ebay is not a name brand) but I have a lot more than 2 cents to say about Baer's big brake kit. I went from SVT Stock 11.8" to 13.0" and got them zinc dipped and crossdrilled to my front door for $734.00 USD, cheap as big brake kits go. Of a fair list of mods I've done to the old ZX3 and the current SVT, this was by far the best. I've been abusing these things since before FOTB in June of 2004, and I mean abusing them, I am not nice when it comes to the performance of the car, it gets USED. These brakes took 90 min to install and are absolutely fabulous. When I eventually have to replace the rotors I'll be staying with the exact same spec, they are fantastic. (These bolt directly on the SVT.)

If you are staying stock, and just considering getting cross drilled the longevity of them may not be quite as good as non drilled. If you do, I would stick with a name brand though, as some of these suppliers have some products that only marginally make the grade, hence your reliability may not be up to scratch. Don't penny pinch too hard, you usually get what you pay for, and brakes, well, enough said.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Don't have specific info for you on the "ebay" ones you refer to (Ebay is not a name brand) but I have a lot more than 2 cents to say about Baer's big brake kit. I went from SVT Stock 11.8" to 13.0" and got them zinc dipped and crossdrilled to my front door for $734.00 USD, cheap as big brake kits go. Of a fair list of mods I've done to the old ZX3 and the current SVT, this was by far the best. I've been abusing these things since before FOTB in June of 2004, and I mean abusing them, I am not nice when it comes to the performance of the car, it gets USED. These brakes took 90 min to install and are absolutely fabulous. When I eventually have to replace the rotors I'll be staying with the exact same spec, they are fantastic. (These bolt directly on the SVT.)

If you are staying stock, and just considering getting cross drilled the longevity of them may not be quite as good as non drilled. If you do, I would stick with a name brand though, as some of these suppliers have some products that only marginally make the grade, hence your reliability may not be up to scratch. Don't penny pinch too hard, you usually get what you pay for, and brakes, well, enough said.
You're one of only two people I've ever found using this kit, so thanks for the feedback. I've often wondered how they would stack up against stock. Have you done any simple testing to compare stopping distances? How much more do they weigh than the stock setup?

Do you know if you could get the rotors without the slots/holes?

Thanks...

·
Registered
115 Posts
the ones "yet even more" are the only ones that look like SVTF rotors the others look like for regular foci.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I'm running EBC Slotted/Dimped rotors front and rear with EBC Red pads. I have two track days on them and they are great with the stock calipers... Next will be the BAT calipers. When I called Baer their kit for the rear gets converted to drum which I thought was odd. I will eventually go to Brembo's front and rear sometime in the future. The front Baer Big Brake Kit looks sick! But, just don't like the rear setup.

·
Registered
582 Posts
So why not just leave the rear brakes stock? To be honest, they are more than you'll ever need on the rear of this car. Just because Baer makes a kit, that doesn't mean you need to get it. Their front kit alone would be improvement enough (if there is an improvement that is).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts