Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appearantly the jackasses who changed my oil also rotated my tires, against my request.
I found that one of the lugs is cross-threaded half way down the stud. How can I get the nut off? The lugnut is on there good.

I can stand on the lug wrench in either direction and it won't budge. Is there any other option other than sitting there with an impact gun until the stud snaps off?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Small problem with that...they also left my oil cap off and ended up paying about $200 in damages (steam cleaning the engine, new Cool-Flo filter, new oil, new cap, etc). When I did that I signed a settlement agreement, and I'd rather not deal with trying to get them to fix anything on my car, or even let them touch the damn car again.

I talked to Chris (AirForceFocus) and we're going to take care of it Wednesday night. Impacting it off and replacing the lug isnt hard, but it's just another PITA I have to deal with.

I was hoping there was some alternative to impacting it, since I dont have one, and I would have liked to get it done tonight. But I'd rather do it right and with Chris' help. LOL.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Wow. Is part of the settlement agreement to not tell anyone who raped your car, because I'm curious. What kind of apes did you take it to?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Only other option I can think of is a 3' pipe on the end of a breaker bar. That should get it off. But you'll definately end up breaking and/or replacing the stud. Which, should only be a 10 minute fix if its on the front.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Ive done both front and back. I dont know, just no lucky with the studs on either of my focuses. I snapped the cross threaded one off with a braker bar. The front, take off wheel, take off caliper, take off disc and pop out old stud with a bolt or some round piece of metal, get some good sized washers put new stud in from back, put washers on it and a nut that you wont be reusing and torque the hell out of it till the stud comes through

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Ive done both front and back. I dont know, just no lucky with the studs on either of my focuses. I snapped the cross threaded one off with a braker bar. The front, take off wheel, take off caliper, take off disc and pop out old stud with a bolt or some round piece of metal, get some good sized washers put new stud in from back, put washers on it and a nut that you wont be reusing and torque the hell out of it till the stud comes through
I didn't even have to pull the caliper.

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=44

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I didn't even have to pull the caliper.

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=44
Yea, you DO NOT have to remove the caliper and rotor. All you have to do is rotote the disc into a location where there's room for the stud to come out. I can even do this with my 1/4" longer studs.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
BTW you guys are not alone. I think in the 5 years I've owned this car, I've replaced 3 lug studs. Of course, one was from a tire shop using an impact without a torque limiter bar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts