Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
crower stage 2\'s with automatic

I have crower stage 2's with fidanza cam gears. I can not get the car to run properly. I am not sure if the timng is off by a little or if I need some type of exhaust system on my car. The only other mods I have on my car is an intake and the Apexi-SAFC. I found TDC with the number one piston, installed the cams at zero degrees, and then set the cam gears to 4deg. before top dead center for the intake cam and 0deg. after top dead center for the exhaust cam, just like Crower sais. The main problem is the car chokes off the line. Does anyone have any possible solutions?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Re: crower stage 2\'s with automatic

Something is probably up with the gears. I would take it to a mod shop or call the manufacterer.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Hi all. I think i can help you with the cam problem. I have the crower stage 2's also. The first problem you have is the automatic tranny. The highest cams you can do for your car are the stage 1's. Second, I don't recommend doing your tuning yourself because the focus timing varies with every car. If you look at the stock gears...they can be put on any which way, so -4 degrees for you is going to be different for everyone else. Hope it helps...

·
Registered
729 Posts

just have it put on a dyno and have them run car with different timing to find the best setup. it costs about $100. But, even then, its most likely the automatic. Also the car wont idle properly anymore. What you need to do after it is tuned perfectly is get a chip custom burned to raise the idle speed to 900 or 950 rpm. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

Originally posted by methknome:
The first problem you have is the automatic tranny. The highest cams you can do for your car are the stage 1's. Second, I don't recommend doing your tuning yourself because the focus timing varies with every car. If you look at the stock gears...they can be put on any which way, so -4 degrees for you is going to be different for everyone else. Hope it helps...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS PERSON.

he doesnt know what he's talking about.

i know personally 2 people who have/had Crowe 2's in thier ATX, and i have them as well with my ATX. its fine.

now as far as tuning goes...

did you align them as #1 came to TDC? or just before it LEFT it? i aligned to just before it LEFT (ie just before the piston starts to lower). retard the intake cam 3-5 degrees, leave the exhaust at 0. manually shift your car from 1 into 2 as close to 7 grand as you dare. you will notice a huge difference. pm me if you need any more help

l8r

OH and your BOG problem. is your 'intake' (hehehe) a cone filter stuck on your MAF??? if so, thats why its bogging, its sucking in engine compartment air thats been pre-heated by the engine, and then after you get moving the air becomes cooler because you're moving...

just my buck fitty...

pm me ifyou need more help

[ 01-29-2003, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: sh0velman ]

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

just have it put on a dyno and have them run car with different timing to find the best setup. it costs about $100. But, even then, its most likely the automatic. Also the car wont idle properly anymore. What you need to do after it is tuned perfectly is get a chip custom burned to raise the idle speed to 900 or 950 rpm. Good luck.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">WTF are you talking about, do you even HAVE the damned cams???

it will idle FINE with the 2's.

again dont listen to this guy. please.

·
Registered
255 Posts

obviously someone has their head up their manny tranny. stage 2 cams go in fine with auto trannies. take the car to a mechanic to figure out the problem. might just be timing. and for future's sake, don't do these mods yourself without adequate and knowledgeable help.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

Originally posted by Jimel:
obviously someone has their head up their manny tranny. stage 2 cams go in fine with auto trannies. take the car to a mechanic to figure out the problem. might just be timing. and for future's sake, don't do these mods yourself without adequate and knowledgeable help.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah what he said.

but some of us cant afford those mechanic types. so we learn to use a torque wrench ourselves.

lol

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

Hi all. I think i can help you with the cam problem. I have the crower stage 2's also. The first problem you have is the automatic tranny. The highest cams you can do for your car are the stage 1's. Second, I don't recommend doing your tuning yourself because the focus timing varies with every car. If you look at the stock gears...they can be put on any which way, so -4 degrees for you is going to be different for everyone else. Hope it helps...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Dude you have no damn clue what you're talking about. I have an ATX with the stage 2's and my car runs just fine!!!

·
Registered
729 Posts

for your info i do have the stage two cams and my friend with an automatic wanted to get them too. we were told by a ford motorsport mechanic that he wouldn't be able to run the cams. And about the idle...it wont idle right. the rpms go up and down to 1000 and sometimes to 200. Sometimes after going down to 200 it doesn't recover and stalls. You may not have that with your "craptastic" auto, but for a manual, you need to raise the idle. If you weren't reading everything i said, i was talking based on my car. So don't say anything that you're not completely sure about.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

oooo

but you see, good sir

i AM sure of everything i said.

cuz i know ppl with the manuals too, and they dont have to adjust thier idle speed either!

if its doing that, then advance the cams a bit, and it will smooth out.

i know more than you think punk.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

for your info i do have the stage two cams and my friend with an automatic wanted to get them too. we were told by a ford motorsport mechanic that he wouldn't be able to run the cams. And about the idle...it wont idle right. the rpms go up and down to 1000 and sometimes to 200. Sometimes after going down to 200 it doesn't recover and stalls. You may not have that with your "craptastic" auto, but for a manual, you need to raise the idle. If you weren't reading everything i said, i was talking based on my car. So don't say anything that you're not completely sure about.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm 150% sure of everything I said. You are a newb and you need to STFU. You're giving out bad information. There are a lot of people on this board with the auto tranny and stage 2's. I did go back and re-read both of your newbie posts and nowhwere do you mention your car. You can take shots at my "craptastic" auto tranny all you want. It doesn't bother me because I make fun of it too.

Have a good day newb!!

·
Registered
729 Posts

i guarantee i know more about how to work under the hood of a focus better than you. I do all my own mods and have friends at shops check them out. I've been working on cars for years. unless you've personally done your own work and learned about whats under your hood you know nothing. As far as me being a newbie...i may be a newbie to focaljet, this thing sucks ass by the way, but i know my cars. you probably don't know jack about cars, and cant even drive a stick granny. You're all a bunch of little computer nerds talking about your rc cars. real tough guys.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

Ok now this is turing into a pissing match. You are right. I don't know as much as you do about the Focus. I've never worked on a car before. I can't drive a 5spd either. I'm a computer nerd. I'm taking my rc car back to my hole.

[ 01-29-2003, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: jptech2004 ]

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

Originally posted by jptech2004:
Ok now this is turing into a pissing match. You are right. I don't know as much as you do about the Focus. I've never worked on a car before. I can't drive a 5spd either. I'm a computer nerd. I'm taking my rc car back to my hole.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">what he said..

[ 01-29-2003, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: sh0velman ]

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

You're all a bunch of little computer nerds talking about your rc cars. real tough guys.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
2,610 Posts

ill race my craptastic rc car against urs any day man.... i've got one of those expensive gas engines in it beat that

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

Ignore all the other posts.

Crower Stage 2's run fine with an Automatic, it's just that you will not realize the full benefit to them until you get a full exhaust (headers + catback). Until then, you will feel like your car is normal until 4000 rpm. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RAISE IDLE.

Crower Stage 2's idle perfect. I've had them on my automatic for 30,000 miles and nothing bad. I also have it chipped so I can rev pretty high.

at 3500 rpm (un tuned mind you), my car screams. I hit the speed limiter waaay to quickly.

Regarding your idle problem. Are you sure you aligned your cams correctly? Were you able to align the cams using the cam tool? Are you SURE you got all your sparkplug wires in correctly? It's easy to miss your plugs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts