Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new on this forum!!!!

I begin to upgrade the performance of my focus, but i don't know what cam i can choose

What is the best in performance between crower stage 2 and cat cam 264, can it take nitrous injection, and i can put it in stock engine or i must change some parts?????

Tanks

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
neither of these cams should b placed in a stock engine. do other bolt-ons 1st. u have 2 know that over-camming a car is worse than have stock cams. u will want 2 upgrade ur valvetrain and u WILL have 2 check the lash (clearance) of the cams. which will likely involve the changing of some of the buckets. hold off on this stuff till u've done some other work on ur intake side and exhaust side 4 example.

btw, welcome!

-Ult

[ 02-16-2003, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so now i have this mod:

street headers focus sport
cat-back mbrp
custom flex and cat
CAI AEM
Underdrive pulley Ford racing
Diablo chip

and is my next mod

(most people write on board, this cam fit on stock engin??)

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
street header, custom cat and flex...hmmm u mean race header??? well anyways as long as that stock cat is replaced, thats good. it wont last w/all these parts, especially when tuned.

these same people who say no work has 2 b done also take 'drop in' literally when they c it on crower's website 4 example. any seasoned shop or hot rodder will impose upon u that u DO NOT change cams w/o gettin accompanying valvetrain parts, shimming the cams properly within spec (most certainly meaning the change of at least some of the buckets). and in the case of many of the cams, messaging reliefs so the bigger cams dont hit. ford gets around this w/the stock cams b/c each lobe is rounded off. all the aftermarket 1s seem 2 have a corner 2 them, thus many of them hit or come 2 close 4 comfort.

these r also the guys that dont change their oil after 30min of operation and also let their car idle 4 a while after firin it up 2 break them in.
DO NOT DO THIS!!! figure out some way 2 hang the throttle such that it revs at 2-2,5k, then run the car 4 15-20min at that rpm steady. afterwards, flush ur oil 2 b changed.

whichever 1s u get, do urself a favor and get all the right tools 4 the job if ur diy. which is what u should do, more fun. things like gasket maker, new oil seals, good tq wrench, all the right sockets and wrenches, cam sprockets, alignment bar, and a good set of angled feeler guages. etc etc. any1 who says that they can just drop these stix in whichever 1s they r in an hr or 2 is doin others a dis-service, b/c thats not the way 2 do it.

i personally can do it that way b/c i've done many swaps (foci and non-foci), but thats b/c i already spent the time b4 hand lashing, spec'g buckets (or settin rockers), etc etc....still these deals only come up when ur say, at the dyno, and wanna do a swap. never do it this way when ur just wanting 2 install them 4 good.

good luck, questions welcome,

-Ult

·
Registered
222 Posts
Originally posted by Luc:
ok, so now i have this mod:

street headers focus sport
cat-back mbrp
custom flex and cat
CAI AEM
Underdrive pulley Ford racing
Diablo chip

and is my next mod

(most people write on board, this cam fit on stock engin??)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">as of right now i would go with cam gears and cams. now cams will depend on you but i know crower stage 2 give alot of hp and not much tq and the cats give an almost equal ammount of hp and tq and alot of it, but the problem with cat stage 2 is you will have to grind out around the valves to get the cam to clear the head. if i had the resources to get the cats i would do that. if you need more info contact ray at McNews automotive he has been working with these cams for a couple of months now.

good luck
geoff

[ 02-16-2003, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: redneckZX3 ]

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
if ur thinkin cat 2s...their far 2 big unless u go crazy w/ur engine (head, bolt-ons, full exh, mani, a/f stuff etc)...if u want 2 consider a cat cam, w/nice broad power and tq that will churn out power as u mod. then consider cat 1s...u wont have 2 make clearance 4 the cams.

look at these (in no order)

crower 1s (gains across board (6200), good idle)
crower 2s (highest topend hp (6500)(peaky) at expense of some low and mid, less tq , fair idle)
FR/Crane 2s (gains across board (6500), more tq over crowers and cats, good idle)
Cat 1s (gains across board (6400), good mix of crower topend hp and FR/Crane tq band, good idle)

-Ult

[ 02-16-2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you're going to get cams, go with the Crower Stage II. worth the money, seriously!! no mods need to be made internally either, but you will want cam gears to be installed at the same time that way you don't have to adjust them later! good luck!

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
yeah, if u want just topend, while takin it in the shorts where the zetec does its best. u must way that option. u guys get far 2 afixed 2 peak hp #s. look at some of the low and mid range dips on the dyno these cams have. thats y the others r continuing 2 show themselves as better options 4 most applications and if FI is in the cards down the road.

oh and if u people that just drop cams in and call it good....ur makin a big mistake.

also, my interpretation of good idle is not excessively lumpy. any of u guys think u can make any cam change no matter how mild and u think it'll idle like stock, ur in 4 a surprise, but a chip (which usually raises idle, or u can have it prgm'd 2 do so) will cure that.

-Ult

[ 02-16-2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts