Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Custom 3\" exhaust?

I plan on welding up my own 3" exhaust and have a few questions.
What type of muffler or resonator if any would you recommend and from where?
Is there a good site to get mandrel bent tubing from?
Flanges, are the 2 and 3 bolt flanges mostly the same, meaning will they bolt to the stock flex pipe if needed?
I plan on adding a race pipe section after the flex to either put a resonator/muffler in there depending on sound. Don't want nothing too loud.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Re: Custom 3\" exhaust?

Magnaflow is all you need.. they have mandrel tubing and universal mufflers and resonators to suit all your needs

damn i sound like i work for them lol

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

I Just bought a 3'' bullet muffler and 3 mandrel bends. Bought it all on ebay. Got the flanges from a local muffler shop and made it myself. Total cost about $120 or so.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I don't think that you will be pleased with a 3". You actually want a quiet 3" exhaust, and unfortunately that is impossible. It gets pretty loud, just FYI.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I had a 2.5" exhaust from the header back with race pipe and it was not loud at all.
I even had a race header and the same exhaust and it was not that loud either.
I'm sure with the turbo and maybe a resonator in there it will be pretty nice.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

I Just bought a 3'' bullet muffler and 3 mandrel bends. Bought it all on ebay. Got the flanges from a local muffler shop and made it myself. Total cost about $120 or so.
same here, went to summit and bought 3 inch mandrel bends, a few flanges and a turbo muffler. Welding it up myself, talk about a cheap exhaust. I think it was just over 100

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

i just had a turbo tube, similar to bullet, welded up to my 3" dp back exhaust. it made a substantial improvement in noise reduction over the glasspack it replaced.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

the key is to use a good thick pipe .. don't settle for a cheap 1.5 or 2 mm pipe .. that'll help keep the noise in .. the mufflers to use are surely magnaflow .. get a Magnaflow Resonator and a Magnaflow Muffler .

Now hte problem with the muffler is you can't have it at the right back . you need to replace the existing muffler (before the suspension) with it .. and run a straight pipe from it out to the back ..

and if you use good quality steel . and the magnaflow restonor & muffler. the sound willl be deep . and actualy pretty quiet under light load . i should make a video for you ...

here's my exhaust . it's 3" header back .. and no tip . just a clean cut stainless steel pipe
.. it's stealth i love it..

·
Registered
105 Posts

I made my own from 3" tubing I got from Vibrant and 2 Magnaflow hi-flow mufflers. The first one is a 6" round x 30" long that I put in place of the stock resonator (fits tight but perfect) and a 14" long x 9" wide oval muffler that sits right before the rear suspension (again, tight but perfect). It sounds oh so good, very quiet with no turbo yet. The perfect sleeper. Will be even quieter with the turbo on. Can't wait to see the look on other's face when I'll be blasting by !!

·
Registered
515 Posts

yeah please make a sound clip... im about to put a new turbo kit on my car and i want a 3 in turbo back... i live in california so stealth is key but i dont want to loose alot of performance

what would you say the trade off is?? i mean how much of a power loss do you get from having no muffler and resignator to one with?

·
Banned
1,566 Posts

I don't think that you will be pleased with a 3". You actually want a quiet 3" exhaust, and unfortunately that is impossible. It gets pretty loud, just FYI.
nope. especially on a turbo car, it will be fine, my friends 240sx has a 3.5 - 4" exhaust (changes to larger near the back) .. no its not custom, its TRUST (greddy).. and its not loud at all, his car is quieter than nearly any N/A car with exhaust

·
Registered
55 Posts

Heres my advice, spend the extra cash the first time and get stainless that way it will last longer. They even have full stainless mufflers. This site has everything you need. Good luck

Burns Stainless

Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts