Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This auction...

So, are those intakes any good? Are they better than the stock intake?

I was thinking about buying one of those for the time being, so my strut bar will actually fit, then buying a K&N cone filter in a couple of weeks.

Is this a good idea?

-=J=-

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
That's what's known as a hot air intake, it's louder than stock, but gives less power too. The best cheap way is probably the Bomz or similar eBay cold air intake. But then I suppose you have to worry somewhat about killing the engine with a big gulp of water. I'm struggling with the same thing right now. Thanks to the help I got in my "Is my K&N filter worthless" thread, I've pretty much decided to add an SVT snorkle to my current set up.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Originally posted by whiskeytangofoxtrot:
That's what's known as a hot air intake, it's louder than stock, but gives less power too.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well it's not exactly what I'd call a "hot air intake", I think it's more classified as a "shortie intake". Sitting in traffic without any kind of heat shield you'll definately get warmer intake air, but travelling at crusing speed your under hood temps drop significantly as air is forced through the grill(s). Although this air isn't by any means as cold as the outside air, it also isn't as hot as it would be standing still. On one hand, your engine with a short ram intake doesn't have to fight for the air it needs, albeit it's a bit warmer than outside air, but it's plentiful and easy to get. But with a CAI, your engine has to suck air which has to overcome a greater distance as well as twists and turns, most of the intake pipe is located in the engine bay heating up to under hood temps, the air also spends more time in this tubing absorbing some of the heat.

I ran some tests a while back at the drag strip running a stock intake with a K&N, an AEM short ram, and then an Iceman CAI, the results were better ET's with the short ram and just about identical runs with the other two setup's. I posted the results here on the jet and got a bunch of crap from Iceman supporters to include nasty mail from knight engineering. I'm not vested in either setup and could care less, all I did was report my own findings and got flamed all to beat hell. So I guess what I meant to say is: For the price I don't think you can go wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts