Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yah, i jsut had a custom exhaust kit fabricated and installed on my car... using a Gibson racing muffler and running duals out the back... it still has some of the resonance issues that all single pipe, non crossflow exhaust systems have, bit it doesnt go 'wah' as me and my friends describe 'ricers'. its deep, and its mushy sounding (not pronounced like a good V8), but its unique. it was stranbge cuz it was loud up to 4 grand, and then it was silent. but i jsut put on a high flow cone filter (airbox delete), and all of a sudden its loud at all RPM's.

i am beginning to wonder what it would have sounded like if i had placed the muffler in the 'gully' (for lack of a better word) in the center of the car and run 2 side exhaust exits on it (effectivly reducing the length of the straight pipe and raising its resonance, so that it would be loudest around 4 or 5 grand instead of a paltry 1900 RPMs...)... regrets are a bitch eh.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you just had the pipes crush bent as opposed to using mandrel bent piping, you're going to regret for two reasons, first the sound; they will resonate far more, giving you the honda sound. Second, with the id of the pipe getting bigger and smaller you cause alot of turbulance robbing the exhaust of alot of its scavenging properties. I'm about to walk out the door to go have a custom exhaust made, but it won't have any bends...

304 Posts
Originally posted by Fisch:
I'm about to walk out the door to go have a custom exhaust made, but it won't have any bends...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">won't that make it stick out like 3 feet behind the car?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i may take it to another exhaust shop here near my work and ask them if they can modify it in a way thats more appealing to me

1 - 4 of 4 Posts