Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I need some help here.
This winter the focus is getting turbo one way or another.
If I go bolt on it would be tom's, but I realy wanted to do my own, I know everything that is needed and the amount of time and work that is involved, but I am still undecided,
what do you guys think, all you guys that have a custom set up would you do it over again or buy a bolt on.
neither way, I am going to turn to tom for fuel management and tuning.
Any thoughts.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Are you good with a TIG welder?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never tried a tig, but good with a mig. using stainless steal custom bent tubing.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I built my own kit for well less than $2500 and would def. do it again. I am actually in the process of building one for my good friends SPI SOHC focus. Were estimating about 160 FWHP. Good luick and keep us posted!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
focus guy, what did do for the manifold, I was planning on using the jgs manifold, and what about your fuel management,
do you have pics of your setup.
198 whp is pretty nice number, how much boost are you running.
I am thinking I will be going doing my own, just sounds like alot of fun.
cutting, welding, and creating lots of power,
thats my kind of fun.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
I built my own kit for well less than $2500 and would def. do it again. I am actually in the process of building one for my good friends SPI SOHC focus. Were estimating about 160 FWHP. Good luick and keep us posted!
and who might your friend be?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
My 198whp is on 7psi and for management I am running the 5th injector. with a 42lb injector in it. My A/F is right at 13.0 +/- My manifold like I said is made of weld-els I bought at the plumbing store. Schedule 40. Cost about $35 for 4 pieces. It just took alot of time test fitting then welding then test fitting again. It was an aggravating process but also fun at the same time.

Be sure to keep us posted on your progress. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what do you guys think of a top mount intercooler,
reason, shorter air travel, more power, less spool time, not blocking radiator.
cons=fitment and keeping it cool.
(Maybe if i went to junkyard to pick up a hood to make a custome one to accomadate the top mount intercooler.) If it would work?

bad idea, just curious,
see now i am having trouble sleeping because this is all I can think about, new ideas, lots of power, what ways I can achieve this.
I am on a one track mind "TURBO"

·
Registered
727 Posts
there was a good post of a 2 scenario diy turbo setup. I believe the guy was jays2000zx3... He built a couple of custom setups and pulled 200+ ponies.

bartek

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
but will it work for the focus, can we squeeze it in there?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Trust me I know what you mean when you say you can't sleep thats all you think about. i was the same exact way. My wife got mad at me cuz thats all I thought about! As far as the top mount intercooler goes, I wouldn't personally. As far as blocking the radiator with a FMIC you don't have to worry, it will flow just fine. It would be eaiser and probably cheaper to go front mount. Other option is to go wiht an air/water. Then you will have to have cooler itself, pump, lines, coolers, etc etc. A front mount is going to be your best bet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah my girlfriend, is getting tired of hearing it but o well, whats even worse I know once its all together I will want more, so it will never end.
oh well, Keep you guys posted, I am sure you will see another p, I will have plenty more questions once I get started.
Thanx guys. and zx3 i will probably end sending you a PM when I run into a problem, Thanx for your help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts