Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a design for a ram air using the cervini's mach 5 hood. I want to fiberglass the underside to make two "pipes" and direct all the air going into the vents, straight to the engine. This should create a lot of boost on my NA focus. Problem is, I need a way to get a filter on, and the MAFS. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
stick your stock box at the junction of the two pipes

that'd be teh best bet IMHO

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
This should create a lot of boost on my NA focus.
i dont know if you will realize any significant increase in pressure like this. you may get a little bit above the ambient pressure around you, but not 'a lot of boost'...

either way, sounds like a cool idea.. how much space is under the hood there? could you fit a pontiac WS6 / camaro volant intake mated to some custom piping?

let me dig up a pic... it's on a z28

something like that under your hood to meet up with the air?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This should create a lot of boost on my NA focus.
i dont know if you will realize any significant increase in pressure like this. you may get a little bit above the ambient pressure around you, but not 'a lot of boost'...

either way, sounds like a cool idea.. how much space is under the hood there? could you fit a pontiac WS6 / camaro volant intake mated to some custom piping?

let me dig up a pic... it's on a z28

something like that under your hood to meet up with the air?
I know for sure that it would make a difference. The main problem is that there is almost no room between the engine and the hood. I'm sure I can construct something flat, but the problem is the filter. I'm thinking about using a stock filter and just kinda cutting down to shape and making a slot to put it in.
HELP!!!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is the hood I'm getting.

as you can see, Its got just about the same specs as the stock hood. I need a thin setup. Probably just as high as each of those vents. ~1.5 inches

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
im thinking your best bet would be to fiberglass the underside of the hood to funnel the air over to the airbox area then into a volant or cool-flow intake... heck, even a short-ram

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
I have the same hood. The problem is you dont have much clearance between the hood and the valve cover. Anything you try to fab onto there is going to be close to the cover and end up generating alot of heat.

You're much better off just getting a full CAI. I believe you will get more results from that.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the same hood. The problem is you dont have much clearance between the hood and the valve cover. Anything you try to fab onto there is going to be close to the cover and end up generating alot of heat.You're much better off just getting a full CAI. I believe you will get more results from that.
I already have a CAI (look at my sig.) the problem is at high speed I have no power. I think that my intake causes that because it ends right behind the bumper. I think that the air doesn't get in quick enough because of the bumper and it has to kinda swirl around, thus killing top end (this is just my guess)

I know it would be really close to the valve cover, but thats not where its hottest. Its hottest right above my headers and the vents are behind that. Also, the high amount of air passing through will or should keep cool for the fraction of a second it takes to get to the engine. Also to help with underhood heat, I'm going to put two more vents in the back of the hood.
This whole thing is all planned...I just don't know how i'm gonna do it

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Toolebox, I want to get rid of the aftermarket system completely to save up space in the engine bay. It'll also look friggin cool
Also, less stuff to keep heat. I'm going to be running very high compression NA and its gonna get really hot. The less stuff under the hood to create and/or retain heat, the better.

Has anyone seen those rubber things with big ripples all around that you can sretch and shrink kinda like a straw. I know they used to make tupperware like that. (the ripples would fold over one another and shrink to save space.) I'm thinking of getting something like that and bolting one end between the throttle body and intake mani, and the other end to the end of the "funnels" making it able to open the hood and also have like a permanent seal

I hope someone knows what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not looking for 20hp or anything. Just like it said in the quote, it would help high speeds. Thats exactly what I need.

Very good link though i learned something

1 - 12 of 12 Posts