Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to lower both cars about an inch. SVT coils are hard to come by at a reasonable price. I wonder if I can cut a 1/2 or full coil off each spring and get what Im looking for? I know this isnt the prefered method, Ive done it on other cars and it worked out ok. This is more for show than go, if I lower more than about an inch the wife will rip off the bumper cover in no time. Has anyone done this? There are plenty of takeoff stock springs around to experiment on.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
SVT coils are hard to come by at a reasonable price.
Why do you say that?

New from FoMoCo = $96
Used = $30-$55

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt check Ford, all the used ones Ive seen are going for 150ish + shipping. $96 for all 4? Thats the ticket, thanks.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
You must be looking at the entire SVT suspension.

The springs only go for $96 or so from Ford.

The going rate for the whole SVT setup is from $170-$300

·
Registered
288 Posts
i cut mine on my sedan, but i cut way more than half a coil off.... 2.5 coils in the front and almost 3 in the back.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I cut my rear springs one full coil and it lowered about 3/4 inch - I added SE shocks and urethane rear sway bar end links - didn't touch the fronts. Definite improvement in feel of the car.

Tio Barry

·
Registered
142 Posts
There was an extensive discussion before the server move about cut springs.
This was before the SVT springs were quite as plentiful, or as cheap.

I suggest searching for the thread before cutting your springs. As was suggested, the SVT coils are a far superior option.
~Paris

Safety in Mods

1 - 7 of 7 Posts