Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to pep boys and looked for 5w20 weight oil for my 2005 st. The only 5w20 that i found were castrol gtx and penzoil. There were full synthetics but i will wait on synthetic oil till i get some more miles. In the owners manual it says to use motorcraft 5w20 semi synthetic. I'm assuming it's in the car from the factory. My question is are all 5w20 semi synthetic? The motorcraft says semi syntheitc but the penzoil and castrol gtx just state it is regular dino oil. I would rather not get raped by my ford dealer on the motorcraft 5w20. Also i would like to stay with a semi synthetic since that's what the manual says. I will go with 5w30 or even 10w30 in the summer months after breakin. I was wondering if anyone knew the specifics of all the 5w20's the stores sell. I had heard from someone that all the 5w20's are semi synthetics. Your answer will probably say just use the motorcraft but i will ask these questions anyhow.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
"Semi-synthetic" is, I think, another word for "synthetic blend". That means that it's normal oil, but they add some amount of synthetic oil in with it.

You don't have to use the Motorcraft oil. Just don't buy the cheap generic stuff. The highest-quality synth blend I'm aware of is the Mobil 5000 or 7500, but other blends will probably work fine.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Welcome to [FJ].

You've pretty much answered your own questions.

I used only the Motorcraft 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend for the first 25,000 miles, changing it and the filter every 2500.

At 25K, I switched to a full syn 5W-30; BMW High Performance Full Synthetic (I can get it wholesale), changing at 5000 miles.

At 30K, I switched again to Mobil 1 RACING 0W-30; it has more of the additives I think I need for running at higher revs.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured that. It just seems that ford as always want's you to buy "their" stuff.
Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
323 Posts
By the time you get to your first oil change your motor is broken in. After 3K I put in Valvoline durablend 5w20 syn blend. I don't think break ins are what they used to be, and oils are much better.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Break in is important. That was my origional question about the oil you chose MAT. Valvoline durablend probably could have been used right away because the motorcraft 5w30 is also a syn blend. I will be changing my oil at 200, 1000, and 2000 miles. I went to the dealer this morning and bought 5w30 syn blend and the applicable filter. Not as bad as i thought at $25.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Why not just have the dealer do it??

They charge $25 out the door for an oil change at my dealer....I mean that's pretty $$

But if you're paying $25 for just the oil & the filter....might as well have them do the work as well

·
Registered
1 Posts
Every new car we get it is the same routine.

First oil change at 1K miles
run until 3K then go straight to Mobil 1 for the rest of the engines life...

Did this in a shelby charger, pulled the motor apart at 100K, everything was still within specs...

I know most people dont like M1 because of name, price, etc... we use it, and test with it and the results are fantastic. Not saying the other oils are not as good, just not going to fix something that is not broken.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I changed it at 200 miles and used the motorcraft 5w20 semi syn. I will change it at again at 800 and then at 3000 miles. I will use mobil 1 after 6000.

·
Registered
13 Posts
well, i work at a ford dealer and we do motorcraft 5w20 oil and filter change, check fluids, breaks and all that stuff for 21.95 plus tax

i've seen alot worse. it gets me because people are always down grading the motorcraft and ford. of course ford is going to say u should buy their product, just like autozone, napa, oreillys, mobil 1 and all of them are going to say u need to buy their product. thats marketing, if u made a car would u want people to buy your parts or other peoples parts. i've seen alot of times that people are like yall are high i'm going to oreilys, then call back in an hour and are like man i can't believe oreillys was higher than yall, can u order that for me. and my favorite, man i can get that 130 dollar part at autozone for 45 dollars, then a about a month to 2 they come back and are like man, i should have paid the extra money for quality, i've put 2 of those on my car from autozone since the last time i was in here, so then they are out alot more money. my theory is, if it doesn't break don't fix it, if ur car is running fine on motorcraft oil, put motorcraft oil in it, simple as that

·
Registered
444 Posts
I know Ford is pushing there oil at you, but it is great stuff. I have had nothing but great results with it in my Zetec. I have had it analyzed 2 times and it is showing almost no wear. Not bad for 1.88 a quart. Good luck.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I might continue using syntec blend. I may be wrong but with all castrol's experience i believe it to be a better oil than motorcrafts synthetic blend.
Some love to get all excited about oil but as long as they meet or excede fords requirements you can't go wrong.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts