Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well here goes,the charging system just quit!!! i replaced the alt. (after it took me another 3 hrs. to get it out((thank you jrsc))and 5 day wait for the part)i put it on the volt meter and it reads,a dying batt. so its not charging still!!! when i got under it the field wire was burnt throu,i think it is fuse link wire and thats where it burnt... right past the eyelet on the alt...and now with the new alt. in it still is not charging?!?!?has anyone had this prob??? if so i would love the help!!!!
thanks you guys ,you've all been helpfull with all my probs

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
If possible, check output from the alt right at the main power connection to see if it's putting out. I know what a PITA it is-I have the JRSC also. If you register decent voltage at the alternator itself, then do a continuity test on the main lead from the alt to the battery. that will tell you if there is a fusible link that is burnt. I don't know it the focus has one, but most cars do. Just be sure to disconnect the negative terminal from the battery when you do the continuity test.
it is highly unlikely that the new alt is bad, unless it was damaged upon installation. Good luck-let us know what happens.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not damaged it went in nice with the blower off, now i put the meter on at the alt.and it reads 14+ with it hooked up to the starting vech.but after i start mine and pull the jumper c. it reads falling batt.??? checked all the wiring and its good, fuses too!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
What was the voltage of the battery when the alternator was installed? What is the actual voltage at the batery when the car is running? "failing battery" doesn't help us here.

If the battery had a low charge when the alternator was first installed, that can damage the voltage regulator built into the alternator and cause the same condition You are having.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was at +- 11 volts and it turned over on its own power. the 2nd time i tryed to start it i had to jump it...needless to say i have gave it to ford to look at and they have told me that there is a short in the 3 wire plug, and the ecu is not reg. the voltage like it should... if this is true i dont know??? does the ecu control the voltage???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts