Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I swapped my motor, trans, ecu, PCM, and ENTIRE wire harness into a 2000 ford focus. My other one was 2007(had front end damage).

EVERY wire is hooked up correctly to my knowledge.
I checked every visible ground
Battery terminals are nice and clean
I removed terminals to reset the computer

When I turn the key to start the car the radio shuts off

And still displays those dreaded dashes

My interior lights work, exterior lights work...EVERYTHING works....except the engine obviously

The PATS light isn't flashing
The car is base model w/o alarm, power windows, power locks...everything is manual.

I tried the service key and same thing...

HELP MEEEEEE!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Did you swap the ignition lock and keys?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Every electrical thing is from the 07. Everything matches and is in the correct position.

·
Registered
736 Posts
without the key in the ignition, does the pats light flash as it should?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't flash at all. I know it doesn't flash when the key is in...but even with it out of the ignition no flash

·
Registered
736 Posts
Then something is wrong in the circuits somewhere...ya, I know, obvious, but if that light is not flashing all the time, then the PCM/PATS is not triggering it.

Just out of interest, although they may be the same....did you also change the pats antennae ring around the iggy switch. Not sure if they might be tuned to different frequencies, especially as the 2 cars are 7 years apart.

Aside form that, I'd be re-checking everything do do with PCM/PATS circuits (you probably already are).

·
Registered
736 Posts
There is a grey ring that sits around the ignition lock under the cowl. It is the antennae for the pats system, and pings the key transponder with the signal. If it's missing, unplugged, or as I said, maybe the wrong one, the pats wont allow the car to start.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That green plug is fine.

Could using two ground wires on one location cause any problems? I did that for the grounds near the ecu/PCM and on the driver side wiring near the clutch pedal...

Maybe one wire has more resistance or interference causing the computer to detect a problem..

·
Registered
736 Posts
That green plug is fine.

Could using two ground wires on one location cause any problems? I did that for the grounds near the ecu/PCM and on the driver side wiring near the clutch pedal...

Maybe one wire has more resistance or interference causing the computer to detect a problem..
Shouldn't cause any problems, assuming they ARE both grounds. Temporarily separate them just to be sure.

Personally, I'd go back through the whole PCM wiring, fuses...everything.

BTW, the car you pulled everything out of...was it running?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Mine's doing the dashes for the last two weeks (and sitting now), and all I was doing was driving home from work!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They are grounds I separated them and still the same thing.

The PCM wiring is good...no way to mix them as the harness extends perfectly for each plug.

I checked all fuses they are good...

My 07 was running without a problem. I've had this issue before but it was a loose connection and I checked that connection about twenty or so times.

-Mile30--- check your battery connections I've heard they cause this problem..but not in my case.

I'm as lost as Bear Grylls in the Amazon...should I drink my own piss?

I'm calling a mechanic tomorow to check it out. He solved a similar problem on my fathers pickup..

·
Registered
991 Posts
---Mile30--- check your battery connections I've heard they cause this problem..but not in my case.

I'm as lost as Bear Grylls in the Amazon...should I drink my own piss?
I'm gonna try those lead wraps for battery terminals after I scuff the hell out of them... if it works I'll drink my own piss!!!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Any news, Semir?

I'm beginning to think I should just buy the whole harness and start tearing that bitch outta tha car...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He said my engine computer is getting no power...(obviously) and he will hard wire it for me lol

·
Registered
991 Posts
He said my engine computer is getting no power...(obviously) and he will hard wire it for me lol
I wonder if that's such a good idea... there's a section of the main power cable that's a fusible link: it'll fry itself before any excess electricity hits the computer.

I'm hoping (read: throwing parts at it) that changing this damn cable/harness will either fix it, or an insight into the real culprit will avail itself to me in the process.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts