Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm 90% sure my clutch is fried. It doesn't launch hard and as I'm driving along at 60mph in 6th gear (02 svt, manual) if i get on the throttle more than enough to keep my speed, the rpm's go up and my speed stays the same. It also does this at low rpms in 4th and 5th gears. However no matter what gear or speed, at a higher rpm say over 3500, it seams to be fine accept on a launch (1st gear). I do not understand why a clutch would grip in higher rpms but "slip" at lower rpms. (Yes, I have avoided this "slipping" at all costs). I am 20 yrs old and I have very little experience with dead clutches so if someone could undoubtedly confirm my suspicions and perhaps explain the low rpm slip only... I would greatly appreciate it. ;)

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
the reason the clutch slips at certain revs is the load placed on it at the time. at the lower RPM you need to give it more gas and it loads the clutch more and will make it slip.

you dont have much time left on your clutch. i highly suggest getting it replaced soon or ordering the parts to do it yourself soon. i wouldnt suspect more then 2 weeks out of it really. MAYBE if you baby the hell out of it, but it just gets worse and worse to the point where it will take a mile to get up to 45 :lol: has happened to me before

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Yup, your clutch is toast.

I'd suggest contacting FS Werks, CFM or Clutchcityonline for a complete clutch kit.

The original clutches in the SVT's were a bit undersized and the guys I mentioned all have updated kits with a larger flywheel, disc, pressure plate and a new throw out bearing/slave cylinder assembly.

And as previously mentioned, if it's slipping you're living on borrowed time and you WILL get stranded by the side of the road very soon if you keep driving it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there any reason why there have been a couple of days where it is way worse? It was uber bad suddenly and then it got better every day that week, (btw ive put about 500 miles on the car since then and have not noted any change such as you both suggested would happen.) I just remembered that a few days after i really noticed the "slipping" I foolishly drove through 6" deep water in a flood when i had no other way around... (i was following a big rig and i was relying on what my dad could see from his side around the truck.) any way it was just a couple of days after that when i had the week of super slip. then it was as i discribed in my origional message.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts