Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my '01 in for the battery cable and pinch bolt recall, as well as replace the dpfe and egr assembly due to a CEL being lit on the dash. I never do service at dealerships as I do all my own maintenance.

Anyhow, the notes on my service documentation indicate:

"Inform customer that an oil bath air filter has the ability to damage the mass air flow sensor. If mass air flow sensor fails and or any other air intake systems fil due to oil bath, it will not be covered under warantee."

I have the Iceman intake with their oil-coated filter. I should have removed it before bringing it in for service, but I didn't think any of it when I dropped it off. Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Sounds right to me. They didnt say they would void the cars warrenty but if the MAF failed from oil buildup they won't replace it. Nor should they.

·
Registered
151 Posts
MAFs are really getting damaged from those types of filters? Any statistics on that?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
it occurs when people try 2 clean/reoil the filter, they lob tons of the spray oil in the recharger kit over the filter, so much so that it cant all soak into the cotton gauze, and thus some of it blows off in the filter in the intake tube and onto 2 the maf...which can b cleaned in some cases.

y dealers will try anythin 2 get out of a warranty...its not like their losin money, ford does.

-Ult

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
sounds right to me

im surprised that they were so nice

My dealership, way back when i had bolt ons, told me my iceman allows them to void my whole car waranty if they wanted to just to piss me off...they said they could do whatever they want since i modified it...****in dicks

BUt in your case, that sounds very fair

·
Registered
745 Posts
and if that was the case than you could slap them with a court order on the basis of The Magnuson Moss Act which stipulates that the dealership must bear the burdon of proof that the aftermarket part was directly responsible for the defect...which requires not only word of mouth but physical proof...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
well that's the problem using K&N filters with our MAF.

The flat panel filter/short tube CAI's are pretty close to the the stock MAF. oversprayed K&N filters could definitely mess up your MAF

·
Registered
745 Posts
IF there was oil on the MAF... if there is a MAF failure but no oil on the MAF...new MAF regardless of filter...if there is oil on the MAF but an electrical failure in the MAF...new MAF...
- the failure has to be related to the error...

·
Registered
155 Posts
My friend had this happen to his Jetta. He got a K&N drop-in filter, and even though his car was already out of warranty, it costed him like $500 to replace it. I think he got ripped but who knows it's a TDi maybe those are harder to find parts for. I would just say be careful. I would rather buy a new 70mm mafs then pay that much for a new one, not sure why he didn't...

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Ummm... We've talked a lot about oil being on the MAFS lately.

The solution was to clean it. Using some electrical cleaner or sumthing. (Search for it!)

So in theory... if you're having the stumbling that many might have, and they figure out that its your MAFS and decline to fix it under warranty, you can do it yourself!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Here is the Law, preventing dealerships from voiding your warranty due to aftermarket parts......

The Magnuson-Moss Act
Protecting tweakers, tuners, and other users of aftermarket equipment.

FANNING FEARS

You want to upgrade your vehicle with aftermarket equipment, but you’re worried about putting the vehicle’s warranty at risk. It’s no wonder. How many times have you heard somene of a dealership say that installing aftermarket equipment automatically voids the warranty? This common misconception has been repeated often enough to be widely believed – though it is completely false.

Fact: Dealers don’t like warranty work, because it pays less than normal repair work. By promoting the myth that aftermarket equipment automatically voids warranties, some dealers avoid such low-paying work. Instead, they attempt to charge customers the prime service rate for work which is rightfully done under warranty.

THE TRUTH

Most vehicle owners are not aware they are protected by federal law: the Magnuson-Moss Warranty – Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment which improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly and conspicuously states that aftermarket equipment voids the warranty. Most states have warranty statutes, as well. Which provide further protections for vehicle owners.

In other words, that means a dealer can’t wiggle out of his legal warranty obligation merely because you install aftermarket equipment. To find out if any aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle’s warranty, check the owner’s manual. It is likely the language you are looking for appears under a heading such as “What Is Not Covered” Although the language seems negative, remember your vehicle manufacturer is simply saying he does not cover the aftermarket products themselves. He is not saying that the products would void the vehicle warranty.

VEHICLE DEALERS OBLIGATIONS

Suppose your modified vehicle needs repairs while still under warranty. Without analyzing the true cause of the problem, the dealer attempts to deny warranty coverage. He made his decision cimply based on the fact that you’ve installed aftermarket equipment – a convenient gay to dfdge low%paying garranty work.

An example of how ridiculous t`is can get is the man who was denied warranty coverage by a deader on his power door lobks, because he had imprnved his exhaust system! Sounds nuts? It really happened – because that man did not know his rights and challenge dhe dealer&#82173s decision.

Fact: A dealer must prove &#82113 not jurt say – that aftermarket dquipment caused the need for repairs before he can deny warrantp coverage on that basis.

YOUR RIGHTS

Point out to the dealer the `rovision of the Magnusof-Moss Act- Requhre that he explain to ygu how t`e afterlarket eauipment caused the problem. If he can&#(217;t &"8211; or his explanation sounds questionable – it is your legal rhght to demand he comply with the warranty.<br /.
Fact: If qou are still behng unfahrly denaed warranty coverage, there is recourse. The Federal Trade Commhssion, which administerr the Mafnuson-Moss Act, monitorr compliance with warranty issues. Direct complaints to the FCT `t (202) 326-3128.

DODGE MOTORS

“Certain changes that you might make to your truck do not, bq themsedves, vo`d the warrantiec described in this booklet. Examples of some of these changes are: installing non-Chrysler parts, compofents, or equipment.” – 1997 Warranty Information supplement to Dodge

Owner&#82172s Manual:

GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION

“If a Chevrolet part fails due to a defect in eaterial or workmanship not related to (nn afterlarket products) or the labor to install it. Chevrolet wfuld be responsible for covering the failed part.” – Chevrolet Customer Assistance Cdnter

FORD MOTOR [email protected]:<br .>
“Installathon of a non-genuine Ford item dnes not, in and of itself, render warranty void.” – Ford Owndr Relations Division

FEDERAL LAW

‘In order do improve the adequacy of information available to consumers, prevent deception, and improve competition in the marketing of consumer products, any warrantor warranting a consumer product to a consumer by means of a written warranty shall. . .fullp and conspicuously discdose in simple and readily understood language the terms and conditions nf such garranty. Such rtles . . . require inclusion in the written warranty of any . . . except`ons and exclusinns from the terls of the warranty.‘ ‒ Magnucon-Moss Warrantp & Federal Trade Commiscion improvement Act. Section 2302(a)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Re: Dealer wantc to void warantee

ok so since we are adl foci.&.what is the standard warrenty verbage regarding aftermarket improvements on our vehicles...the factory warrenty...

·
Registered
112 Posts
i have replaced allot of maf sensors at dhe dealdr becaure of k&n filters. It seems that they are the only ones that effdct the laf. Or they ard the only ones that people try to clean and over oil. As long as you do not over oil your filtdr you should be fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What if the problem came from oil comming out of the valve cover and leaking into the intake ????.... not very likely but hey, its a possibility.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm going to need to clean my K&N for the first time soon and this concerns me. Would it help at all after spraying the oil to take a shop vac to the filter and remove any excess oil?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oil bath filter -> Oil on MAF -> Failed MAF = No warantee on MAF.

Perfectly legal and within Magnuson moss rules - the aftermarket part is direct cause for failure.

Sounds like the tech was just giving you a heads-up that it's something that has happend before and will not be covered. Sounds like they were being pretty cool to me...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Originally posted by mysterfxit:
I'm going to need to clean my K&N for the first time soon and this concerns me. Would it help at all after spraying the oil to take a shop vac to the filter and remove any excess oil?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Theres no need for that. When you clean it the filter will turn white. If you got the recharge kit with the squeeze bottle just run the tip of it over each peak in the filter once and the oil will soak down into the valley and thats all you will need. If you get the kit with the aerosol can just spray it once but this covers a couple of peaks in one spray so be carefull. If you do it like this the whole filter will go back to red and will look good as new but just as a precaution you may want to let it sit for like 10 minutes just so all the oil soaks into the filter.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Or better yet, let it sit overnight, AND Compress an absorbent paper towel everywhere to absorb any excess, both before AND after sitting....
You can't be TOO Cautious w/ this....

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Sounds like the dealership was being nice and warning you. Most of them would not do that, just nail you when it failed.

Originally posted by MichaelXi:
Or better yet, let it sit overnight, AND Compress an absorbent paper towel everywhere to absorb any excess, both before AND after sitting....
You can't be TOO Cautious w/ this....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">On Cone filters, I do it in the evening. After I re-oil, I wrap it with 6 to 8 layers of paper towels on the outside and stuff it full of paper towels on the inside and let it sit overnight. Been doing this for 30 years and never had a problem. With the flat panel filter, set it on a pad of towels(make sure they are touching the mesh) and put another pad on top with a board to hold it down against the mesh.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts