Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most exhausts are going to add the same amount of power so i'm more interested in what they sound like. I hate bumble bee's and the way most Honda's sound. I want a deep sounding exhaust, but don't know if it will stay that way with a race header. Anyone with opinions on what exhaust sounds the deepest.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a thermal it sounds pretty deep, not like the buzzy honda noise, but they're expensive.

·
Registered
970 Posts
the borla sounds pretty good imo, even with a race header

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
If you are going race header in the future and want to have a nice deep low toned exhaust after it's on, go for the FS Stealth model or the HKS(Mucho $$$, also a smallish 21.in diameter).

Thermal is also a good choice for a nice quiet exhaust.

- Drew

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Borla or Vibrant.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It can be loud or quiet as long as it's not buzzy with a race-header. I have heard good things about the HKS (i did do a search) and it seemed like eneryone liked the MBRP but like I said I want it to sound good with a race header. And as far as a V-8 I've got one of those all ready it's just not going into my focus.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I am also in search of the deepest sounding exhaust. I always wondered what a HKS muffler with all pipe and no other resonators would sound like. I do have the Thermal R&D. I would describe it as a hum, its tight! I am going to take a sound clip of it tomorrow if its not pouring down rain.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Vibrant has a good sound at high RPM's and the Apexi is the best at normal driving. At least in my book. I have the Apex-i and at idle the car a deep mean tone, then at 3000 it starts getting quiter and my intake over powers the exhaust.

For the best sound you will need to build your own system. That is what I had before the Apex-i but do to the salt on the Michigan roads I no longer have it. I used 2.25" piping for the flex pipe back, no mid section resonator, a straight through oval muffler (magnaflow universal) before the rear axle and a nice Stainless tip out the back. GOD [email protected] did sound great at all rpms. Deep and strong all around, it just wailed with out sounding raspy. Had I had the time and patients to build a system again I would but the Michigan salt would do its harm all over again.....

[ 03-21-2003, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: orangezx3 ]

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I wish I could figure out how to post a sound clip of my exhaust for you.

It is incredible sounding.

I literally set off car alarms under full open throttle

Current Modifications:
Volant Intake
Focus Sport Street Header
Focus Central High Flow Cat
Focus Sport Flex Pipe
Focus Sport Plug Wires
MPRP Exhaust
Focus Central Under Drive Pulleys

·
Registered
179 Posts
i have a borla and i want a f/c high flow cat. will it sound like im buning rice?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Originally posted by Fastwonder:
This is easy. A V8 conversion.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dude has a point

·
Registered
717 Posts
My 3" exhaust is noticeably deeper than the FS exhaust I had while I was still N/A. As a general rule, bigger = deeper. You have to make compromises with performance and fittment, however. Obviously, a 10" pipe isn't practical.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Originally posted by Bantha Fodder:
My 3" exhaust is noticeably deeper than the FS exhaust I had while I was still N/A. As a general rule, bigger = deeper. You have to make compromises with performance and fittment, however. Obviously, a 10" pipe isn't practical.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm sure your Turbo is helping the queiting process also

- Drew

·
Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by orangezx3:
Vibrant has a good sound at high RPM's and the Apexi is the best at normal driving. At least in my book. I have the Apex-i and at idle the car a deep mean tone, then at 3000 it starts getting quiter and my intake over powers the exhaust.

For the best sound you will need to build your own system. That is what I had before the Apex-i but do to the salt on the Michigan roads I no longer have it. I used 2.25" piping for the flex pipe back, no mid section resonator, a straight through oval muffler (magnaflow universal) before the rear axle and a nice Stainless tip out the back. GOD [email protected] did sound great at all rpms. Deep and strong all around, it just wailed with out sounding raspy. Had I had the time and patients to build a system again I would but the Michigan salt would do its harm all over again.....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've got the APexi exhaust...exetremely deep sound at idle and like he said at like 3 grand i can hear the CAI. actually mines not to loud even without the CAT, but that might be partly to the CAT being in my exhaust...broken up!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by yellowreaper01:
i have a borla and i want a f/c high flow cat. will it sound like im buning rice?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I duno what ur def. of burnin rice is, but it is much louder and could get on ur nervs, but besides that it isn't to bad from wedge1212's exhaust that i've heard..he's got that setup!

[ 03-21-2003, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: 02SteedaFocus ]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts