Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I'll Buy YOUR car for $10,000!!!
3,602 Posts
are these things worth getting?
i thought they wouldnt fit cuz they were too short...

·
I'll Buy YOUR car for $10,000!!!
3,602 Posts
my question still stands, for a daily driver, are the plugs worth $50 a set? and are they ok for N2O use?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are worth it if you need the stronger spark. According to Denso they will work just fine with nitrous. On a bone stock Focus they probably won't do much. The more air/fuel you have going into the cylinder the better they will work. Besides having a stronger spark the heat ranges are very critical for highly modified engines regardless of the performance factor... They have been tested with gains of as much as 20+ HP on force inducted V8s!

·
Registered
871 Posts
They have been tested with gains of as much as 20+ HP on force inducted V8s!
but 95%of us drive n/a 4 cylinders........god i hate marketing. 20 hp i sGREAT, but that doesn't apply to us. thats like saying, "our new performance chip makes deisels get 77 miles to the gallon!" well, i want to see a deisel foci. the question was what does it do for US.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then these plugs are not for 95% of you guys!!! The reason why I used that example is because it's been tested. Haven't seen any testing done a Focus yet. If I had to take a wild guess it would be that on a 4cyl you'll probably get around 8+HP (DEPENDING ON APPLICATION) being that is a little less than half the size of the V8 used in testing. Tell me of the last time you picked up 8+HP for under $50...

I'll make this real clear: I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL THESE SPARK PLUGS AS A PERFORMANCE PART FOR A BONE STOCK FOCUS!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've also had these plugs for a while paired with the screamin demon coil and live wires, worked great for me. Can't say that it'll give you much HP, but before when I'd hit 4500-5000rpm my car seemed to lag a bit on acceleration, now it pulls smoothly through. So, my 2 cents is that yes they are worth it. Also, in doing some research, the iridium is a much higher temp material than plat and should last on a stock car 100k+ miles.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Hey Hector, I'm glad to see you have these in stock. I'll be getting a set one step colder than the stockers from you pretty soon. I'll get back with you.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Just ordered my 3 step colder plugs today. Thanks for making these available CFM!!!!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
With the colder plugs, whats the life expectancy. I head the the Motorcraft ones last anywhere from 6 months to a year, I don't want to have to keep changing my plugs every year or so. I want something that will last.

·
Registered
727 Posts
the question was what does it do for US.
my buddy owns a lancer, w/ the 2.0 sohc engine, which is sightly better than an spi focus. On one of the message boards they dynoed 6~8whp on a stock lancer by adding these plugs.

bartek

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
yeah i heard if you go too low, they are easier to foul up under normal driving conditions

either way, i wiill be ordering either a 2 or 3 step colder plug

BTW, tom made 8whp on his car simply from a colder plug

Jon K runs these iridiums in his car, he likes em....

im gonna try em

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
The life expectancy of any plug should be pretty much the same. Where most people run into problems is when they install plugs that are too cold. The plug then cannot clean itself and therefore won't last very long. The trick to plug selection is to use a plug hot enough to keep itself clean yet not so hot as to cause a hot spot creating preignition. I'm running plugs that are one step colder than stock and they have been performing flawlessly, I've pulled them for inspection and they show no indication of fowling. Still haven't got the iridiums yet but that's my next step, I'm going to use the same heat range as I have in there now.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
so what do you guys recomend for a turbo focus, running 200-250whp, 2step or 3step colder?

·
Registered
397 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
so whats all this talk of "HOT" and "COLD"?? My Focus currently has 9mm Ford Raceing plug wires. MAC shortram and MAC UDP. Looken to get a Trubendz 2.5" catback real soon. Should i stay regular or get colder or what?? Also...can any of ya'll tell me the NGK equivalent?? Everyone tells me it's the IX7164. But it's Gapped to .059. But they claim they are wonderful yet the Denso Iridium is gapped to .050...whats the dealio??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts