Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are so special about these plugs? What benefits would I get for spending 12.99 each instead of just buying Bosch Platinums? Any performanc difference or they just last longer?

·
Registered
89 Posts
They will last longer for the most part. thats what makes it worth it.
They also make a brighter spark. this does not make a notice difference power wise. it does make for a more cleaner burning efficient engine. your major notice will be a smoother idle.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
They also make a brighter spark. this does not make a notice difference power wise. it does make for a more cleaner burning efficient engine. your major notice will be a smoother idle.
They do not last longer. They only have a rated 30k mile life. Platinums last a lot longer. If the iridium tip was the same size as a platinum tip, then yes, it would last longer. The draw to iridiums is that the metal is a lot harder, so the point can be a lot finer, creating a hotter, more powerful spark.

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
The draw to iridiums is that the metal is a lot harder, so the point can be a lot finer, creating a hotter, more powerful spark.
SO how long are Motorcraft Platinum Finewire plugs rated to last? The tips on those is super thin compared to regular platinum.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
They do not last longer. They only have a rated 30k mile life. Platinums last a lot longer. If the iridium tip was the same size as a platinum tip, then yes, it would last longer. The draw to iridiums is that the metal is a lot harder, so the point can be a lot finer, creating a hotter, more powerful spark.
My denso iridiums were changed after 80k miles. still worked fine and inspection of the plug revealed no damage from engine or lack of spark. Only thing of note was that heat marks indicate spark was begining to initiate from one side of the plug only. (plug getting old) gas mileage went down by this time of course. My opinion on these plugs is that they arent worth the extra money because they dont provide anything beyond what cheaper plugs offer. Besides, I side gap my plugs so Id rather not take the dremel to a $12 plug.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
My denso iridiums were changed after 80k miles. still worked fine and inspection of the plug revealed no damage from engine or lack of spark.
They are RATED as having a 30k service life.

And if gas milage was going down, that's a sign of lack of spark...

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
I know. I wrote that there was evidence spark was starting to creep to one side. I also didnt mean to infer promotion of denso as a long life plug.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just a note: Don't use Bosch Platinums with forced induction! Especially the +2 and +4 versions; they'll break apart under boost.

Last thing you'll want is pieces of metal flying around in the combustion chamber.

I don't know if this applies to other brands of platinum, but just something to avoid in the future if you plan to go the FI route.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Don't use the BOSCH gimmick plugs. The are also to short for our motors. Just go with the motorcraft or autolite double platinum.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I run MotorCraft AZFS22C's, most of us FI guys run them and several of the NA SVTers do as well.

Copper core, and you can get a set of 4 for around $17

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome. Thanks everyone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts