Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Double-Wide Pride!!!
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a couple of weeks ago, I hit a deer. Nothing too terrible, but I do have a shallow dent on the passenger side front fender. I remember sonetime in my past, someone told me that a way to get these kind of dents out, was to heat up the metal, then put dry ice on it. The steel has a memoty, and the heating-cooling process should put the metal back into its place. Or in this case, pop out. Does anyone have any insight on this process? And if so, please post up!!!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
you dont have to heat the surface too much. just leave the car out in the sun for a little bit and put a small piece of dry ice on the dent and it will suck it right out. also, i've heard that those dent kings you see on tv work pretty good.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Hi Billy Mays here for the Dent King!!

All kidding aside if the dent in your fender can be popped out with the Dent King which can be found at like Walmarts automotive section for like $19.96 or even an auto parts store it might be worth a try.Just a thought.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Where the hell do u drive to be hittin deer? I've never seen a deer in the 24 years ive grown up.
dude, when I lived in new hampshire (for many years) hittin' deer was common. My best friend totaled his 89 300zx when he hit a MOOSE picking op his sister from college... that was some nasty stuff

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
heh, we have deer all over our roads in NJ. Especially at night when they're eating. Damn things like to sit right in the road, I narrowly hit one a while back.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hi Billy Mays here for the Dent King!!

All kidding aside if the dent in your fender can be popped out with the Dent King which can be found at like Walmarts automotive section for like $19.96 or even an auto parts store it might be worth a try.Just a thought.
The only thing about the dent remover is that I've never read a good review of it... in fact it made it into Maxim's "History's 10 Worst Infomercial Buys" or something like that.

you basically hotglue a suction cup to the dent, then there's a bar with a hold and two more supports, and you basically screw the glued cup till it pops.. in lots of cases, it enlarged dents on large flat surfaces, and didn't do much for the smaller dents (after numberous tries)...

I would hold out until I actually see a good review of it... until then, just hot glue a dowel (or plunger) to the dent, and use your hand around the dent to support the metal as you pull out.. you'll do the same as the infomercial version at 100% off the cost.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you put the dry ice straight on to the paint?

·
Double-Wide Pride!!!
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, after it's been heated, you put the dry ice directly on the metal. I hace heard that steel has a memory, and it should go back to its original shape.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Haha, yea, "without messing up the paint" is the key there. Maybe I'll try some on someone elses car first. Ill try putting it on top of some thin plastic of something first to see if that works. Im getting dry ice for Halloween anyways, Ill let you know how it goes

·
Double-Wide Pride!!!
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sorry to drag it out of the dead, but after a half hour of heating up a certain dent on the hood of my car (hot to the touch) and applying the dry ice, I've come to this conclusion.
I'm insane.
What a bad idea. It doesn't work. I think it screwed up the clearcoat though!
So in summary, don't listen to the crackbrain ideas of me.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Pics?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I don't know about your neck of the woods, but where I come from, we have these things called body shops. They have all kinds of really cool tools and they can fix dents with them.

·
Car Photo God!
4,292 Posts
I don't know about your neck of the woods, but where I come from, we have these things called body shops. They have all kinds of really cool tools and they can fix dents with them.
Spend 100 bucks (average) to have Joe in the back do it and you learn nothing OR Spend the time to fix it yourself earning a quality job (depending on how much time you invest) earn knowledge and saving 100 bones......hmmmmm Thats a tough one

1 - 20 of 21 Posts