Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas? Im trying to come up with a sleeper intake system for the car. I know the cold air is already around. But any input from the people of N/A motors will help. The best idea so far has been a shorty intake that gets cold air from the base of the windshield. useing a flat panel K&N filter. i would post an illustration but i cant figure out how to post pics.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Im curious as to what the heck that design would look like! I can host the pics if you e-mail me them..

·
Registered
201 Posts
i suppose you could relocate the battery then work a big ass scoop like setup extending from the orginal intake place on the bumper only wider or go to the bottom grill

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got bored and came up with this idea during my computers class. I don't know if there is enough room under the hood. the pic is pretty self explanatory. the only part i will explain is the sensor thats on the intake, for my little doodle i consider using the stock piece with the bracket and cutting it to fit. (like I said, this is just a doodle i didn't really think it over.)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
well the thing is you can't directly have the tube like that. the MAF is calibrated to be x amount of distance from the throttle body. Any change in that distance can adversely affect your perfromance.

Technically what you have there is similar to what Focus Central has planned for their intake when it is mated up to their hood.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
looking at that diagram above, id just make one suggestion: opt for a conical filter over the flat panel if you can rig it up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would be worried about aerodynamics. Not in the sense of resistance to air flow but differences in pressure.

I'm sure a vacuum forms in the area between the hood and the wind shield. As the air flow over the hood then to the windshield the moving faster is at a higher pressure than that of the air in the gap between the windshield and engine.

So when you’re doing 60+ your engine has to work to overcome that vacuum and then suck in the air it needs.

Of course I have no formal education is this area but it just seems like what would happen.

just my .02

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am developing my pictures today....
Made the Intake myself, Found a pipe that would go further to the side than most intake systems, K&N filter, cutted right half of the air box in half to fill the gap and avoid HOT HOT air straight from the engine(The airbox thing came out couples weeks ago... Works way better than before after the car gets hot!! ) Got a breather..I'll post a picture later on today.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I recall reading in a former post that the highest pressure in front of the car is between the hood and the windshield...The author also stated that this is the reason cabin air is drawn from there...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want the base of the windshield idea to be as easy as possible. for people that might want to purchase a kit. I have made the mold for the filter mount and it fits good. the intake elbow runs straight back in to the fire wall. there is six or seven inchs of space in there. so i used a 6x6 filter. ill email any one the sketches if they know how to post them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
ok i got an ideal for one hella cool intake.

i would want it set up with 2 throttle bodies but take to much work so we are going to skip that not even sure it will work pop in my head at work.

here are the steps

#1 buy z3 fenders
#2 cut into fenderwell make airbox with concial filters in them on both z3 fender(where the slits are)
#3 run both up over the engine connecting to a single pipe running across the spark plugs having the pipe connect in a Y shape into the throttle body

problems with this
#1 z3 fender slit go the oppiste way of air force so difference scoops would be needed on the fenders so open wide mouth ones would be great
#2 if you could rig twin throttles and mafs i beleive it would work even better
#3 thats a hella expensive intake i mean you need new fenders for it

so a crazy design i wish i hade money to make would most likely work well i mean to ram air intake sucking up outside air with twin thottle and a good manifold that should rock for n/a cars

remenber this was a crazy ideal made up a work with less than 3 hours of sleep in the last 36 hours man thats when i think the best lol later

1 - 14 of 14 Posts