Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of putting a chip in my ATX. Any pro's or con's let's hear them.

Thanks guys.....

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Pro:
Better shifting
Your engine will run slightly better

Con:
You will be driving more aggresively
You can only use premium gas
and you may or may not get rid of your speedlimiter/revlimiter depending on your code.

AND make sure you are careful with the install. We don't want to hear of another trashed computer.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fully aware of the speed limiter issue. Not that important to me. As far as install i would have Diablo put it in for me!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by KonaZXIII:
Go for it Shayne, after I saw the results on Toole's car firsthand.
I'd say it totaly worth it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think i'm going to do it, the only reservation i have is "WARRANTY" however access to the ecu seems real easy to get to so if i have to pull the chip out should be no problem!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
dont worry about the warrenty, but if something else is wrong with your car either take it out, or get the chip that can be turned off. the chip will mess with Fords computers and they may not be able to diagnose another problem. unless the chip is the cause of something going wrong with your car your chip is not an issue. and its not like its hard to take it out if something is wrong! play dumb!!!

I dont have a chip because i've heard gains a minimal on 5speeds
Jon

[ 02-07-2003, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: jonszx3 ]

·
Registered
209 Posts
Depends on your code. If you have any of the ones that use a 4bank(XAU?) or SZR? series, you may be better off with a superchip.

I had an XAU1 and did the comparison (DS 4bank vs SC), I liked the Superchip overall. ESPECIALLY with an auto.

If you have the SZR? code like I "did", the next time ford plugs in the wds system, you will end up with the UIQ0 code, and Diablo currently has no program OR support for it.
One of their field reps read my PCM, but I've heard nothing back as of yet.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by jonszx3:

I dont have a chip because i've heard gains a minimal on 5speeds
Jon
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I Strongly Disagree.
I have a 5-Speed '01 S2. I am THRILLED w/ the Diablo and the specific program that's on mine.
It's definitely more torqu-ey in the Low and Mid-Range.
After awhile you get used to it, but take it back off, and you definitely miss it.
My Local Ford Service Director is also my Diablo dealer, as well as a Pro Auto-X'er. He has a stretch of pavement where he can do acceleration tests. I'm not sure of the exact distance. It doesn't matter. He uses it for A/B comparisons.
W/O the chip my car pulled to 62MPH in the test-distance. WITH the Diablo, (And the most recent of 3 programs I've tried), it pulled to 70MPH in the same distance. Back to back runs, w/in 15 minutes of each other. The only difference was the chip.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by jnmarshall:
Depends on your code. If you have any of the ones that use a 4bank(XAU?) or SZR? series, you may be better off with a superchip.

I had an XAU1 and did the comparison (DS 4bank vs SC), I liked the Superchip overall. ESPECIALLY with an auto.

If you have the SZR? code like I "did", the next time ford plugs in the wds system, you will end up with the UIQ0 code, and Diablo currently has no program OR support for it.
One of their field reps read my PCM, but I've heard nothing back as of yet.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's the most interesting news I've heard about this code series.

Tigretek and I are both in the same boat. I think I should have used a Superchip originally rather than my Diablo.

It will all be null and void once my new plans are in

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'll tell ya, I wouldn't trade out my DiabloSport chip if you paid me, unless it was to replace it with a newer model of theirs. I have a 5 Spd ZTS and it DOES make a difference. During one of my troubleshooting endeavours, I removed the chip, and the car felt like something a grandmother (no offense) should be driving. Makes a noticieable difference in my opinion.

·
Registered
299 Posts
pinKRUSHER.... check your pm's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts