Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was teaching my little sister how to drive a 5 speed, sence im the only one in the family with one. I had her doing pretty good so I let her drive it home, it was raining. I told her to floor it because traffic was up in coming so she turned out and let the clutch in at like 2400rpms and she rode the clutch or the tirs were loose and went to redline and then shifted and almost redlined it again, then this rush of the worst smell ever filled the cabin. I thik she burt the crap outa the tranny fluid and i have no idea what she did to the clutch, i mean its fine today but it doesnt seam to have such a define point when I put it into gear. Any thing i should do? Its an 05 ZX3 S with a MTX75 2.0L duratec.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
She couldn't possibly burn any fluid... the only thing that could have been damaged is the clutch.... on fire.

...the smell was the organic material of the clutch.

TYPICALLY such a thing won't be a problem, as long as the clutch is driven normally from now on... it'll just take a few miles off the total life.

It is possible that some glazing of the pressure plate for flywheel may have occured, which could explain the lack of sharpness you feel this morning.

If you drive it carefully, it should still live a nice long life. To give you an idea, I've made a couple nasty mistakes with my Focus in the past, resulting in some unnecessary clutch damage... it still engages great with 103k on the clock.

...don't let her near it again until she figures out how to use a clutch.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
The smell was clutch material burning. It's a lot like brake pad material. Your tranny fluid is fine, and doesn't get affected by the clutch at all in the transmission you have.

What happened: She slipped the clutch. She had it partially disengaged while revving the engine. This is a huge NO-NO but what's done is done. Once the clutch material heated up, there formed a hot layer of liquid and gaseous (evaporating) clutch material between the disc, flywheel, and pressure plate, which allowed the engine to spin even faster and make the clutch even hotter. Until the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate cools off, it slips easily.

What damage is done: You definitely lost some clutch material. Your clutch will go out sooner than one that wasn't abused like this. It could go out today, or it could be at 150,000 miles. The world will never know without taking the car apart to see how much clutch is left. You also probably "glazed" the flywheel and pressure plate. This is where the parts got hot enough to undergo some chemical changes. Usually, glazing only affects a very thin layer of the contact surface, and it eventually wears off. Your clutch might want to slip for a week or two until the glaze wears off.

You likely have some hotspots on the flywheel and pressure plate as well. These are like glazing but they go deeper and it's usually uneven. Hotspots cause uneven clutch engagement, increased clutch wear, and can also result in chattery or squeaky noises (hard to describe) when engaging the clutch.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its under warentee, should I take it to ford, to have it checked? I went to pick up my sis at her first day of school and it seems back to normal with the definition back where you can feel it engaging. I step on it, and felt no slipping through all gears. Thanks for the input and help guys
! I didnt realize that she messed it up so bad, its gunna be hers when shes 17 though and I get a 2.3 maybe

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Its under warentee, should I take it to ford, to have it checked?
I wouldn't. Ford is quick to call "abuse", particularly on a wear item. Clutches aren't covered under warranty unless they fail prematurely under non-abuse situations.

Just chalk it up to experience and make sure she understands that sort of clutch misuse will lead to expensive repairs... all part of learning to drive I think.

I would definitely encourage her to keep learning how to drive a stick... the world needs more manual drivers.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I am gunna teach her more but im gunna borrow a foci from the dealer I work at. I dont think she realized she was riding the clutch. Thanks Again for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts