Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For sometime now I had been experiancing some very mild sputtering. In the back of my head I had always though it was the DPFE. I did a fuel injection clean, that just maintained my engine. However, still didnt fix the sputtering. I replaced my battery cables, that fixed my weird startup problems and tranny related issues. But still didnt fix the sputtering. I then replaced my Fuel Filter believing it was fuel related issue. Despite a SMALL difference in gas economy it still didnt fix the economy.

So today, I began reading more and more DPFE and sputtering issue threads. Decide to go out and do the simple work arounds. I just took out the EGR Valve Tube and plugged it up. Ran it for awhile even with A/C on. The car ran more beautiful then ever, although the CEL didnt come on yet. I do realize now that I was right in the beginning.

I would like to know where I could get an inexpensive DPFE? New or USED just as long as its working properly and not going out. I checked Autozones website and they are advertised $99. This is soemthing I want to spend that much on especially on a small peice equipment such as DPFE. Dont get me wrong im not down grading its importance its just dont wanna pay that much for something so small and minute.

I would also like to replace my EGR valve while im at it. Where can I get an inexpensive one. I am told that they only run around $3 dollar or so.

If any provide me with information with my quest for parts please do reply, or pm.

ADDED!!!
After further inspection, when I put the car into park (automatic) I feel a slight vibration. Almost as if its a FAINT sputter. It has been some 20k since the fuel injection clean. Could that be it? Becuase I used to feel the mild sputter when idled in drive, but no more does it do that. Now only when its idled in park.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Dont know what to tell you other then pony up the cash for new EGR and DPFE and know you have good parts on there. As for your sputter, maybe missfire related? Have you replaced plugs/wires and those things? Also maybe a vacuum leak?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plugs some time ago, im at 75k now i probably replaced around 55k with denso irridiums. ill definatley look into new plug and wires possibly.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE!! HMM

I was waiting for the CEL to be thrown and when it finally showed up the car started sputtering. What does this mean? I pluged the EGR valve tube back in and drove for a bit and it went away. Now I am thinking its fuel pump related. Can anyone help out? Or need more information?

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
UPDATE!! HMM

I was waiting for the CEL to be thrown and when it finally showed up the car started sputtering. What does this mean? I pluged the EGR valve tube back in and drove for a bit and it went away. Now I am thinking its fuel pump related. Can anyone help out? Or need more information?
When the CEL comes on, and a fault is present, your timing goes way back. Your car is running intentionally crappy, in a "limp mode". It's not the same as the overheat limp mode (where it shuts down 2 cylinders) but it is a mode where the timing is retarded 5 degrees or so, which makes it seem like it's running rough.

As for DPFE... cough up the cash for a new one if you don't want to try the second workaround on this page as a permanent fix:

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=80

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been running on the FH option #1 with the golf tee for over a week with the CEL and I don't have any idle issues or timing corrections noted. Something else must be occuring in his car as I'm doing the same workaround he did without issues.

My part should be here by this next weekend, then I'm doing hack option #2 to prolong the life of my poor (and crappy) DPFE sensor.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
DPFE Workaround #2 appears to be working. Mine was having some bad stumbling below 2000 rpm after I installed my Volant intake. I've driven it for 3 days and a few hundred miles and it's running a lot better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts